Wood Duck 12 Puzzle Joint

I have made good progress with Wood Duck 12 through the stitching of the hull and deck.   Then I discovered that I think I used the wrong mix of resin to hardener on the puzzle joints.  I used Two pumps of resin to one pump of hardener.   After reading directions more carefully, I believe the pumps are metered to provide the 2:1 ratio with a single pump of each.   The joints seem sound.   Any harm here?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 12 Puzzle Joint

You got lucky - as long as the epoxy hardened I would keep going. Those puzzle joints are going to encased in glass and epoxy later in the biuld anyway, so strength is not at issue (even though the bonds might fine)

Thanks Joel that makes me more comfortable about proceeding.  I guess it pays to Read and understand directions.  

William,

If you really mixed twice as much resin as you shoukd have, the joint would be a gooey mess. Half the resin would have never hardened.

If the pumps are set to meter the ratio for you, they usually have a colored sticker on top.

If it was me, I'd take 2 identical cups and put one pump of resin in one and 1 pump of hardener in the other and compare the amounts. That would tell me if the pumps were pre-metered.

Good luck,

Laszlo 

Laszlo,

Thanks.  I found the instruction sheet which came with the pumps and they say one pump each of resin and hardener, but before proceding I need to make sure they are calibrated properly.   

Bill

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.