Dumb sheer clamp mistake and how to fix

This forum should have a section for dumb mistakes and suggestions on how to fix them. I could certainly contribute a few  anecdotes. For example:  I am building a Chesapeake 16 from plans. All went well until I glued on the sheer clamps. Rather than use the suggested back to back method, I elected to use the edges of my long work table and to glue each panel separately. Long story short, I glued one sheer on the wrong side and ended up with two left side panels. ( I was never good  on spatial orientation tests)

Realizing my error (after the epoxy dried) I thought about having to buy more ply, cut and scarf a new panel and try to match it to the other panel. I also (briefly) considered making two boats. Then I had an inspiration. I have a portable thickness planer. I figured I could run the panel, sheer clamp up, through the planer and plane off the clamp. If it worked, I could salvage the panel. If it didn't work, I could still use the panel as a template for a replacement panel. Well, it worked great. I created a lot of cypress shavings for the garden, and after about 20 careful passes through the planer, the sheer was gone and ply was virtually untouched. The last 2 passes were done very carefully. I'm going to paint the hull, and I don't think anything from this fix will be visable. So, should anyone else screw up and glue a sheer in the wrong place, find someone with a sharp thickness planer. It will save your day  

I've now made a new sheer, and glued it on the correct side. I quadruple checked.  Signed, dummy aka Randy in Florida

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dumb sheer clamp mistake and how to fix

or, you could have used a heat gun (hair dryer) to remove the shear clamp and clean up the mostly cured epoxy clumps. Then both bits would be reusable. It's scary sometimes how easily epoxy can be scrapped off when heated. Makes me glad I don't live anywhere it gets very hot.

At least now I know I'm not the only one. 

I would have just bought some more plywood and built two boats!  I didn't use the back to back method either. too afraid I would glue the two sides together or wouldn't get every thing lined up right.  Just laid it all out on the garage floor.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.