Wood Duck 12 - Transom Piece Pattern

Kinda messed up the placement of the transom piece in my Wood Duck 12 build and need a new piece (to either replace the current one or "sandwich" on top of the old one so that it is flush with the ends of the side panels.

Since I'm building from a kit, don't have plans to cut a new one.  Any plan-builders out there that would be willing to scan or take picture of the transom pattern so that I can cut a new piece.    

Plan B is to create a pattern from a piece of paper or cardboard.

Thanks.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 12 - Transom Piece Pattern

...or sand the hull panels flush with your inset transom?

Thought about that as well.  Problem is with the size of the overlap of the side panels (about 1/8 inch)  and angle of the transom piece - afraid that the lines of the back will be messed up if if start shaving the side panels and will no longer match up nicely with the bottom panel.   Would rather "thicken" up the transom to keep the original lines.

I have 3 wd doubles going together in my shop, which as far as I can tell use the same transom geometry as the 12.

None of the transoms are flush at the end. The only important thing is that you can achieve a smooth attractive shape. In our case, that means sanding the ends of all four hull panels flush and blending and rounding them until they look good. It's an easy, quick process. Absolutely nobody will know the boats 'lines' are an 1/8-1/4" shorter.

Is it worth using a heat gun to soften the epoxy, pop it out, clean it up and re-mount?  

That is exactly how my transom turned out on Wood Duck 12.  I was really worried that I messed up but research on the net showed that every picture I could find at this stage of the build looked exactly the same.  I was very releived and just made quick work of it with a rasp and sanding.  No problem at all.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.