Has anyone used Linseed Oil Paint?

Have not even recieved my ordered NE Dory kit yet, but have been doing loads of reading and research.  I just came across an article about the benefits of using linseed oil paint and was wondering if anyone has used it? 
Here is a quote from the article: "Modern alkyd resin and acrylic resin paints create a barrier between the wood and the marine environment, but water eventually finds its way into the wood, and the moisture sealed inside by the paint results in wood decay, causing the paint to bubble, crack, and fail. Linseed oil paint preserves the wood by allowing it to “breathe.”

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Has anyone used Linseed Oil Paint?

I might add the FAQs from one of the manufacturers websites answers a lot of questions that might be raised:

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/faq.htm#existing

Oceanluvr,

Yes, I've used linseed oil paint.  Most oil-based paint is linseed oil paint.  When I built a conventional wooden boat back in the 1980s, I used linseed oil paint on it --- and then had to strip and repaint it every few years.

If you construct your NE Dory according to the manual, you'll seal all the wood with epoxy resin, a pretty effective water barrier.  Then you'll paint and or varnish the entire boat to protect the cured epoxy resin fron UV light and abrasion.  The epoxy protects the wood and the paint protects the epoxy.  If you follow the instructions, you will be pretty safe from rot.

CLC recommends one-part polyurethane paint for boats like the NE Dory.  It is far superior to the traditional linseed oil paints in every way.  I built my boat in 2014, so it's not that old.  It is used in saltwater and is covered only during winter storage.  The Interlux Brightsides paint on it looks as good as the day we first buffed it out --- pretty much like fiberglass gelcoat.  I probabley won't need to repaint for 10 or more years.

You'll find CLC finishing suggestions at http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/painting_polyurethanes.html.

Cheers,

Dick

My boat

Oceanluvr,

I took the time to read the page your link pointed at.  My only comment is that the references are mainly in regard to house painting and that comparisons are to water-based acrylic paint, not to one or two-part polyurethanes, which are quite different things.

A very good source of information about building boats with plywood and epoxy can be found at CLC's Tips for Boatbuilders.  The information represents over 20 years of boatbuilding experience of th materials used with stitch-and-glue methods.  CLC wants you to succeed and have considerable experience with the methods used to build the NE Dory.

Cheers,

Dick

Keep in mind that the CLC kits usually assume you will be putting a sealer coat at least of epoxy resin on everything.  That will do more to keep moisture out than the paints.  

Years ago I built a CLC Sassafras 12 canoe for my then-10 yr old nephew.  He got to pick the colors of paint, and picked colors that weren't in the Brightsides collection.  He picked Kirby Paint orange for the outside, and their cream for the inside.  It was dubbed the "Creamsicle".  Came out pretty well I thouight.  These are traditional oil based enamels.  I'm sure the oil base is linseed.

I didn't actually epoxy coat the whole boat, just the 'glassed parts.  I found that the Kirby paints flowed wonderfully on the bare wood, but needed some Penetrol to flow evenly on the epoxy.  They adhered fine, but needed a lot longer than Brighsides to cure.  You also have to wait a while for the epoxy to fully cure for the enamel to do well, I think. It was probably a month for me, since I had to wait for warmer weather.

My new boat is completely epoxied per the manual, and I'm using Brightsides.

I find the smell of Brightsides polyurethane to be more objectionable than the Kirby paints, although it goes away faster.  I paint with a respirator when I'm in my garage, but the smell persists.

Best not to think of these as wooden boats, they are wood core fiberglass boats 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.