Passagemaker Stitching

Hello, this is mine and my bf's fist boat build and now that we're at the lapstich phase we're having some trouble. Panel 1 seems to be about an inch and a half longer than the hull panel. On the starboard side, after starting off with the bows flush and stitching back loosely, the stern of panel 1 still overhangs, and even with as much bending as we can manage comfortably, it looks too vertical still. When held in place at both ends the port panel barely fits flush at bow and stern but I have my doubts that it would meet all the way along the middle. Moreover, when the middle bulkhead is held in approximate place, it is not only clear the panel is to vertical, but also it seems that the notches pre-cut into the bulkhead to rest on the panel look too short. Are there any kind of set measurements for the curve of the hull? What is the angle the panels are supposed to be at? Perhaps these are things that "shake out in the end" when we have more than one panel stitched on, but we were afraid of pushing ahead only to find we have a lot of undo and and fixing to do. I also have pictures if anyone would like. Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker Stitching

Greetings fellow Passagemaker makers!  Yes, please post pics of where you're having trouble because the kits are cut perfectly, so if there's an issue it's usually "operator error".  The panels are cut long on purpose to allow you to bond the parts together, then cut them flush.  Finished an Eastport Pram last Spring and am digging into a Take-Apart, so I'll see if I can help.  The PMDbuilders.net site is pretty much dead, so maybe we can revive it.

I'm not quite sure what's going on.  The Passagemakers all stitch up pretty nicely.  Are you building from plans or a kit?  

Out of curiousity I just overlaid the current CNC-cut kit parts and the current plans (drawn ca. 2009), and Panel 1 is identical.  I can't recall ever having altered the parts.

One thing that can cause some odd fits at this early stage is the bottom panel sitting flat on your saw horses.  Like reassembling a banana peel from its flat petals, when the #1's are stitched to the bottom panel, you should have a three-dimensional boat shape.  Fight that and nothing will work.

In classes I find it helpful to induce some "rocker" or curvature in the bottom panel by moving the sawhorses further apart and putting a weight of some sort, like a toolbox, in the middle.  You can see this in the lower-righthand photo on Page 38 of the PMD manual.

You can see that in action here:

���We are building from plans, which turned out to be the issue. After after an unfortunate amount of time trying to make it work, we realized that we had rabbited panel 1 on the top edge... Well after taking everything off and rabbiting the proper edge, keeping the now top edge rabbit on the inside thinking it will make it easier to fillet , everything is fitting as it should. Thankfully we had already planned on paint not varnish. Neither of us are new to wood working and I've been doing fiberglass work for many years, and despite thinking we had alreadyt tripple checked before cutting the first time, I guess it happens, I'm just glad we shouldn't have to replace the panels and buy more okoume. Thank you all for the advice, and sorry for waisting your time. Happy New Year

I was afraid that was the problem, but didn't want to jump to any conclusions.  It's unfortunately an easy mistake to make.  I quadruple checked mine before machining the rabbets, then when they turned out to be correct, I marked them on the templates I had made so I never have to worry about it again if I ever build another EP.

I also want to congratulate you on your attitude.  I'm sure it was a frustrating discovery, but you learned, are moving forward with the build and once your boat is done, only the two of you will know.

Lastly, no posting that gets someone back on track with their build is ever a waste of time for anyone.  Good luck with the rest of your build.  Please post some pics and besides the great support here, please check out www.pmdbuilders.net.  I would love to revive that forum, much like what they're doing over on pocketship.net.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.