Wood Duck 12 Well Underway

Well actual build started 12/17. Cannot believe progress made already after only 4 evenings of building.  Much credit to Laszlo and others, I have really been able to get way ahead of the curve on avoiding problems and errors. I knew this would be great but the sense of accomplishment that my wife are feeling from this build is amazing. Great to have a partner building with me!  I am keeping a blog to track progress. It's intended so that my elderly Mom can follow along on her iPad. But I do include enough detail that would be helpful to other builders. Thanks again to this community and CLC.  Mo & Ang

http://channelingnoah.blogspot.com

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 12 Well Underway

Very nice start!  If your boat building is half as good as your photography, you're going to end up with a real keeper.  You should offer to do some CLC promo shots for a discount on your next kit.

Hooper Williams, Brevard NC 

Hey there Martymo I just finished a wood duck hybrid. Good luck with your build. It is a joy. By the way I live in Franklin nc just over the mountain. 

Been driving to Franklin for years, mostly for my son's soccer games.  Where can you use a Wood Duck?  Chatuge?

Hooper 

Chatuge,nantahala,Fontana lakes and Tennessee river and nantahala river there is a big rafting and kayaking place between Bryson city and Andrews called nantahala outdoor center. Also past Murphy is the Oconee river where the did the Olympic water sports in 96. We camp at chatuge and lake hartwell frequently also. There are places just need the time. 

���You're not going to take it on white water, are you? Hooper

The one I built was for someone else. I'm gonna build a shearwater or maybe a petrel for myself. I am working on a nymph canoe right now. But to answer your question prob not any rough whitewater. Nantahala is not bad at all. I've rafted it a few times. I located some yellow and red cedar and made my own strips this go around as well. It was time consuming but saved me money

���Sounds like you're going to have another beautiful boat. I've paddled all the above mentioned rivers. Even on the easy sections, you can not avoid hitting rocks and the bottom. These wooden hulls are beautiful and seaworthy, but they are not intended to touch anything but water. It would be a shame to transform 200 hours of labor into wet kindling. You just need a Mohawk, Dagger, or similar plastic boat for our rivers.

Marty,

quick question - when you did your initial gluing of the hull pieces, were they all laid out on your table?  I have an unheated garage, but want to get my hull started, so I am thinking of gluing the pieces inside my house , on a plywood sheet.  For compression, I will use the screw to my plywood table.  Once cured, I would move the entire table top, with pieces glued together and clamped or wrapped onto the table top, to my garage and permanent work area.  Haven't laid them out yet, but it looks like less than 4' wide for all 6 pieces?  I want to do this so I can stitch some as I await warmer temperatures.  I travel quite a bit, so my gluing steps will be dependent on my travel vs. warm enough temps in my garage to apply epoxy and cure, at leasat over next two months.  appreciate any of your thoughts on my crazy ide, but especially the width required to layout and glue my hull pieces. 

UTB,

4 feet is too narrow. Since the planks curve, the ends will bump even when the middles are well-separated. You might be able to come really close with some careful arrangement, but not 4 feet, not unless you overlapped the ends. Here's a shot from my WD12 build from 2007 showing that:

Once the joints have cured, they can be individually picked up, handled and moved. There's no reason to move the tabletop with the pieces attached. For that matter, there's no reason not to glue up 3 panels, let them cure for 48 hours, move them elsewhere and glue up the next 3. That will definitely fit on 4 feet. The only reason everyone does all the panels at once is because they can. On a larger boat I've built, I glued up the panels individually because only one would fit on the floor at a time, and it worked great.

Have fun,

Laszlo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49414332@N04/14614405902/in/album-72157645186993049/   

I wish I knew how Laszlo gets his pictures to post.  You can save space and apply clamp pressure at the same time by stacking them and screwing scrap boards together between them.  Very fast and easy.  Make sure you use plastic so you don't epoxy the panels to the scraps.

Hooper Williams - Brevard, NC

I just follow the instructions on the forum main page :-)

Seriously, the big trick is getting the actual image URL, rather than URL of the containing page. The link you posted is the page URL.If all else fails, I can view the page source and decode the HTML in my head (OK, so I'm a geek).

Good idea about the stacking.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.