Northeaster Dory, WA State Registration?

Thinking about purchasing the Northeaster Dory, anyone in WA State who has built one and what hoops did you jump through to register it with the DMV? Or maybe you don't? It would be used in Puget Sound if that makes any difference...rowing and sail.

Thanks!

Nate

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory, WA State Registration?

Nate,

I don't know about Washington, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how easy Massachusetts made registering my CLC kit-built  boat.  Most states have Web sites explaining their boat registration rules and policies.  I used Google to find my state's.

Most states will charge a sales tax on the materials used to build the boat you're registering, so keep careful records and receipts.  Materials for which you have already paid a your state's sales tax will not usually be taxed again.  If you don't have records, many states will estimate a value for tax purposes.  You do not want that.

The state will also assign a hull identification number which you'll need to affix permanently to the boat and a title confirming your ownership.  Most states do not require registration for unpowered boats under a certain length, but it's still a good idea to get the hull ID and a title.

Hope this helps,

Dick

Thank you for the info Dick!

Nate,

BTW, once you've identified the state agency responsible for boat titles and registration, they'll probably answer all your questions over the phone.

Best of luck on your project,

Dick

Mr. Google is your friend. Typing in washington state boat registration yields this site:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/registerboat.html

which is the official state boat registration site.

A couple of interesting possible escape hatches - these boats don't have to be registered:

• Canoes, kayaks, or vessels that don’t have a motor or sail (strictly human powered).
  • Vessels less than 16 feet long with a motor of 10 horsepower or less, if used on non-federal waters only.

Don't know how Puget Sound is counted.

Maryland is nicer. They don't require registration for human or sail powered.

Good luck,

Laszlo

It migt not be necessarybut it could prove useful for indentification for recovery if boat is stolen or slips achroage. Also if anything sould happen to you and you are unable to converse it might help identify you.

It might not be a bad idea to glass in some owner identification onto the hull.

Sort of like having your name and serial number in your shoes and boots when in the service.   

Some more info:  Realize this is TX rules but things to look for in WA

In Texas the wording on the rules was not clear so I went ahead and got my dory registered...they said anything over 16 feet needed to be registered period so even though the sail/row issue is still open to intrepretation a ranger may not appreciate the subtle difference in the wording of the rules and give you a hassle so I just got it registered.

CLC will provide you the Hull Identification Number (HIN) that needs to be applied to the transom if you registere it.  CLC will provide it on your invoice when you purchase the kit because CLC is considered the manufacturer by State rules, in TX anyway.

Also, I had to provide a notarized form showing who has right of survivorship 

I cant find the CLC Forum discussion on applying a HIN to the transom using rice paper but that method worked fine for me, right on the bare wood, then epoxy/glass over it.

The key to my getting it done was working with just one person at the State Dept of Wildlife and she walked me thru the steps....Sent her the picture showing a HIN on the transom and thus she waived the inspection by a Ranger etc

One warning that may not be true in WA but worth checking that caught me by surprise.  They may try to asses a fine if you dont get it registered within XX number of days from date of manufacture (their paradigm is commercially manufactured boats that get registered by the boat dealer, and date of manufacture in my case was considered the ship date of the kit from Anapolis.  It took me 4 months from ship date to the point of realizing I needed to apply the HIN and they wanted to fine me, because they had never registered a hand made boat so I explained how building a boat works, and they let me slide on the fine after some back and forth letters.

Also, in getting insurance or registration since technically Puget Sound/the Juan De Fuca is open to international water you may avoid some hassles if you refer to your sailing area as "coastal" and not "international"...but that one you better confirm

May be totally different in WA but ideas for consideration

Curt

Everyone should be aware the Peuget Sound   can be a dangerous stretch of water. In January 1970 I was stationed in Washington state and a 35 foot sailboat slipped it's moorings and was never seen again. It is unknown if the boat was swept out to sea or ran aground the wooded shoreline and sank. The tides might not vary by great heights but they generat a very swift current at some point, especially at the Tacoma Narrows.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.