Mill Creek 13 paddle

I am head first into building a Annapolis Wherry and a Skerry at the same time. I just ordered a Mill Creek 13 kit while the sale is on. Will be a busy winter. Would  a Greenland paddle be a good choice for this? I am only planning on recreational use for this.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Mill Creek 13 paddle

my opinion is that european style paddles are easier for folks operating in 'rec mode'. by that i mean an occasional paddle and/or letting non-paddlers borrow it for their first time out.

that said, you can build or buy really nice wooden european style paddles to match a mill creek.

if its just you doing the paddling and you want a greenland paddle....by all means....build one.  heck....you got three boats in the work.  why limit yourself to one paddle?

Greenland style paddles are great, and fun to make. Search this forum and the web for tons on info on how to make them. Most folks who try a greenland paddle love them.

I have made 6 and it is very fun and relaxing turning a ceder 2x4 into a paddle. I prefer to use hand tools, but there are many ways to remove wood - drawknifes, planse spokeshaves, band saws, power planers, belt sanders... the list goes on, and no way is more correct than any other.

Have fun,

Joel

���I have a Millcreek 13 and most of the time the Greenland paddles (have two) are the go to paddles. Because drip rings are not used on the Greenlands and the Mill Creek 13 has an open cockpit the trip can be a bit wet. In the summer this is OK but this time of year I'm switching to the European paddles. Yes make Greenland paddles to your hearts content, but don't throw away the European paddles.

My wife and I paddle similar double paddle canoes. She uses a wide and short Euro blade, and I have been using either a Greenland paddle or a hybrid Greenland/Euro blade. (5" x 21", truncated willowleaf planform, hollowed diamond section).My sense is that the Euro paddle is faster, especially in shallow water where the full long-and-narrow blade cannot be immersed. For what it's worth, Bart Hauthaway used to outfit his canoes with Euro-style paddles. I still like the Greenland paddle for kayaks, where the narrow beam makes it easier to do a slicing stroke, rather than the catch-and-pull-back of the Euro stroke.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.