Oxford Shell - top decking

Can fiberglass or carbon fiber cloth be used for the top decking material instead of 3mm plywood? Would the cloth once epoxied give the strength needed for the hull?

I have seen vintage racing shells with cloth decks that have been varnished and it's a very nice look while it keeps the weight down.

Thanks,

Sharktown

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Oxford Shell - top decking

The deck keeps the sheers apart/together, and makes the hull stiffer. You can but some pretty big holes in the deck, and use a single layer of wet glass to cover those. For instance, leave a ~1" margin at the sheer, and a few 2" wide transverse "deck beams". Leave generous radii at all cutout corners.

How to wet the glass? I think you'd need to do it on a big flat, plastic covered table. Wet the glass on the table, add a layer of peel ply, squeegee and dab additional epoxy until it is fully wetted and let dry. Gently peel away the peel ply, then mark out the rough shape of your deck, cut the glass and plastic together on the table, roll one extra coat onto the peel-plied surface, roll a coat onto the wood deck, and then join the two wet surfaces, using small weights around the perimeter and anywhere that the glue doesn't read clear over the wood. Remove the plastic later, and you should have a shiny, smooth, clear surface. Don't press too hard when you sand for varnish.

Sounds like fun!

RE: Oxford Shell - top decking

Nemochad, Thanks for the information - its just what I needed. Regards, Sharktown

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.