NE Dory -winds gusting well over 24 knots tests the floatation

For fellow NE Dory sailors I tell this tale. I was on a lake with steady winds of about 15-18 knots and gusts to 20+ knots. Sailing was perfect. Then I hit an area where either gust or wind tunnel effect of lakes terrain caused a large, quick heal that didn't allow enough time to release the lines or shift weight quick enough. The whole front half of rail went under water and filled the boat to the seats before I could shift. Took maybe 3 seconds. Also tiller extension was out dragging in water. 

Using the jib to stear with( filling and releasing) I slowly sailed to a couple hundred yards to shore. I am sure WITHOUT FLOATATION I would not have any ability to move the boat to shore. Once on shore bailed her out and went back to sail the balance of the day!

By the way I secured the foam floatation with Velcro versus expoxy so I can easily remove to put new foam in when needed. 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory -winds gusting well over 24 knots tests the floatation

Clark,

Thanks for sharing that.  I often worry when I read, on the Forum, of people who choose to use the areas, designed for foam floatation, as storage.  I suppose that a closed compartment does provide bouyancy.  However, poke a hole in that compartment and it's useless as floatation.  That's why the design calls for foam.

I was young and foolish once (and lucky).  Now that I'm old, I want to stack the deck in my favor.  If John Harris designed it with foam, it gets foam.

Cheers,

Dick

http://cumulus.aunt-mary.net/images/peeler/

Dick - thanks for the links to your pics! Nice job on the Peeler & gives me more confidence my Clubman's 'enough' (had 5 MINIS if you count my '65 1275S, long gone alas...) to get a winter project craft from my landlocked driveway to the nearest suitable inland water!

Prefer not on with a trailer though, I'm thinking ~ 40 lbs & < 16' so roof-rack size.

My MINI's a 2003 and has no difficulty towing the trailer and the Peeler (approximately 700 lbs together) on the Interstate.  The standard MINI Cooper has a towing capacity of 1500 lbs and huge disk brakes.  There is no way to put a hitch on a MINI Cooper S.

Wow, a '65 S!  That is very small compared to the current generarion.

I've had two of the 'new' S's, an early-build '03 I drove for 135,000 miles before parking it. Worn suspension bushings & shocks made it a little testy to drive in traffic; sold it off after delivery of a 2007 S. That was a disappointment from Day 01 because of the changed engine design & turbocharger. Clubman's what I wanted, body-wise. back in '07 but they weren't available here at the time.

I've seen aftermarket towing hitchs for S's, haven't explored factory parts as I'd rather do without a trailer if at all possible.

Yes, my '65 Austin-Cooper S was a hoot'n'a half for the few years I drove it! All of 120" long end-to-end on 10" diameter wheels. No towing with THAT platform, that's a cert!

As far as I know, there are no factory trailer hitches for MINIs.  I installed an aftermarket hitch on my MINI Cooper 2dr HB standard.  Picture below.  Pardon the dirt on the car.  It had been raining the day before.

MINI Cooper Trailer Hitch

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.