Newbie questions - Resurrecting a build

Hi everyone,

I came into possession of a Chesapeake kayak that was never finished and I am looking for some assistance.  Someone started it and gave up on the build.

There are clearly things that need to be fixed before I continue.  I got nothing other than the boat and have purchased the instruction book from CLC and a hatch kit.

Here are some photos as I started sanding today.

Jim

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Newbie questions - Resurrecting a build

My first question is in regards to the state of the interior epoxy.  Can anyone tell me what would cause this brown discoloration?  Is it UV damage from sitting out in the sun before the deck was glued on or maybe improper mixing of the epoxy?  

The epoxy is hard and does not scrape off with a razor very easily.  And it does not come off with denatured alcohol.

It is not on very thick and I’m tempted to paint the interior once I patch it up…

This is what I was working on today, removing the epoxy slop on the top deck.  I plan to paint most of it but would like to leave it brite on the top if possible.

1st Brown stuff picture.........look to the upper left. See the nail point protruding into the space for skin (yours) and/or dry bags. You need to address these sharp things. Skin bleeds and punctured dry bags leak.  Gear will sometimes hang up on those and not come out easily also.

The drips on the deck..................If those weren't sandable none of us would have bright decks. Just don't get into the fabric/cloth.

Hard to say what happened to the epoxy inside, most likely UV damage.  I would sand out as much as possible and maybe put a fresh coat or two back down and then paint if it still looks bad.  Was the deck glassed?  The older Chesapeake decks were not glassed which is fine.  I have two that way and they are plenty strong.  So, if not, be careful sanding through the epoxy into the bare wood where those drips are.  When you recoat with epoxy, you will have a different color where the bare wood is and the old epoxy is.  This would show up if you want to go bright on the deck.  You have to try to even out the sanding by recoating the bare wood only with epoxy or sanding the rest of the epoxy out.  I guess it depends on what epoxy you will use as some are more clear than others and the old epoxy has probably darkened a bit.  That is just my opinion though, others may have different thoughts on the old epoxy prep for new varnish.  It might come out just fine.  Either way, you can always paint and you will have a great boat to paddle!

Remember too that the area around the hatches gets covered up with a lot of rigging.  Hatch straps, bungees, lifelines all mask that area of the drips.    

I think with some careful sanding and re-epoxying/varnishing you should be able to get a nice topside appearance. 

However, If after removing the topside drips you find the result not to your satisfaction, but you had your heart set on a bright finish, you could consider applying another layer of veneer and epoxying and varnishing over that. 

It would add a little weight, but you could pretty much get any wood finish you wanted.

The previous builder didn't make it easy on you, did he?  I'm not the neatest when it comes to epoxy, varnish and paint, so it gives me a little perverse pleasure to note that someone out there was worse than me.   

Thank you for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did some more sanding and think I will be able to remove all the previous glass and be able to redo it on the deck.  The deck was not glassed so I think I can take it down to bare wood.  My fingers are crossed that I can refinish it and leave it brite.

The hull is a sloppy glass job and I think I will need to do some patching. 

Thank you!

Jim

I am reminded of two sayings,

1. It's not over till it's over.

2. Sanding is fun..............sanding is fun.............sanding is fun......sanding is fun.    

If you don't already have one go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy yourself a random orbital sander.  It will make quick work of those epoxy drips, just make sure you hold it level and don't sand too much.  As far as that mess inside the cockpit I would just sand it down and paint over it with some enamal like Rustoleum Topside.   Definately pull that nail out and any others you find sticking in to it and also look for stalactites of epoxy hanging down that might stab you.  .  

IMO it is not that bad really, you can still make a decent boat out of it. I am in the process of re-doing a One Ocean Cirrus LT Hybrid that sat out behind a guy's garage half full of stagnant water for a few years and it was a bigger mess than that one is.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.