Longer oarlock pins for Piantedosi Rowing Wing

I am a tall guy and would like to raise the oarlocks a bit further than possible with the current pins. Optionally, I would also like to mount mirrors on top of the oarlocks.

Has anybody done that? Where did you get the parts?

I looked for the manufacturer, but www.rowingrigs.com seems not to exist any more.

Thanks, Bengt-Olaf.

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Longer oarlock pins for Piantedosi Rowing Wing

Dr. P., I suggest you turn your browser-of-choice to:

rowalden.com

- for further study & perhaps some progress on what you seek to accomplish.

Then again, you may want to read some of what's posted here:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/piantedosi-oars-west-acton-massachusetts-c252210.html?page=1

- before you do anything else....

Sorry, bad link; use this one:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/piantedosi-oars-west-acton-massachusetts-c252210.html

Thanks for the links. I had originally sent an inquiry to Alden via their web site but never got a response. Reading about the complaints, that may have been a good thing as it prevented a likely disappointment.

I'm sure glad that CLC isolates us from all this aggravation.

As for my original problem, I will probably just find a machinist who can produce longer pins on his lathe.

Thanks! Bengt-Olaf.

I was fortunate enough to get to visit with the caravaning CLC folks when they stopped off in Madison WI two weeks ago. My primary goal was to 'trial' an Annapolis Wherry, which they'd brought along and had set up for use that day. From some pics I took of the sliding seat rig it appears they can be disassembled? There's a stainless round-head bolt or cap screw on the top; what's underneath? You may find it a relatively easy project raising these oarlocks some with spacers of a proper (Delrin comes to mind) material and the use of suitably sourced securing hardware. If you can take some pics of what an oarlock brakes down into then post them somewhere I may have more to go by. Or we take this off-line & maybe exchange e-mail addresses?

I wanted to trial a wherry before thinking anymore about a kit to build. Turns out it's a little larger than I think I'd find convenient to car-top to the nearest suitably sized waters where I live. That the sliding seat rig may no longer be easily obtainable - to say nothing of replacement parts - puts a heavy thumb on the side of 'not likely to go that route.'

Wow, this is all news to me. I am 75% finished with my Wherry and did receive my rowing seat from CLC last month. Surely they need to find another source of these units if they continue to integrate them into their kits. I was thinking of doing another rowing boat after this one, but has me thinking otherwise also. Looks like they are taking care of CLC's orders somewhat.

Ddeaton, when I posted those links I by no means meant to imply the Piantedosi products won't still be available. I wished only to give some indication of why another's efforts at getting info from the manufacturer hadn't proved successful.

That CLC's reputation is as good as it is speaks volumes for how they support their customers' needs, there's no reason to think that will change anytime soon. Were I to decide one of their kits would fill a need of mine I'd not hesitate to place an order.

You've made a fine choice, good luck with your build! May you have many opportunities to enjoy your handiwork and how your new craft performs under power.

> You may find it a relatively easy project raising these oarlocks some with spacers of a proper (Delrin comes to mind) material ...

Right, the height of the oarlocks can be adjusted by moving washers over or under the oarlock. I have already raised them as far as the length of the pin allows. I just would like a bit more.

As for the boat. I built an Oxford Shell a few years ago and am very happy with it. It is easy to car top and it is quick to pop the rowing wing in and out for transport.

Bengt-Olaf.

Piantedosi equipment is top notch - I have been using one for over 15 years with everything still original.  I ordered the longer rowing pins years ago and they work great - especially in rough water as you can get the oars clear easier.  Gary Piantedose is a bit flighty and basically impossible to get ahold of, but I understand you can order items from the Alden website without issue.  If you are worried about getting stiffed - order something small first.   

I installed a row wing in my NE Dory last year using some of the parts in the optional CLC sliding seat install kit.  At that time I did talk to Gary about installing his rowwing frame and he gave some great ideas.  I plan on posting installation details and photos sometime in the future.

I believe the oarlocks themselves are from Concept II.  If so they can be disassembled and easily modified..  Concept II, like CLC, are another high quality and highly responsive company.  I would contact them. If they do not have longer pins they probably know where to get them.  If the oarlocks are not Concept II, a pair of Concept II oarlocks is only $25. 

Gary Piantedosi either owns or works for Alden now. The Alden website is a mess, I tried to order some parts for the Oarmaster  in my Alden Ocean Shell and never could get it to work right. I couldn't get it to calculate the shipping so I called and the person I spoke with said they would call me back and give me the total, but they never did and every time I tried to call Alden nobody answered the phone. You can't pay with a credit card either you have to mail a check.  

I finally was able to source the Oarmaster parts I needed from Adirondak Rowing in New York.  They also sell Piantedosi replacement parts.   

http://www.adirondackrowing.com/

Wayne,

Did you post photos of your Piantedosi Rowing Wing in your NE Dory? If so, where? How has the wing worked out for you?

Thanx, Don

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.