Peeler Launched

We launched our Peeler, Island Girls over Labor Day weekend.  I started work at Thanksgiving and finished in time for the best months of the NE boating season.  I completed the remaining projects (wiring, dock line, motor) over the weekend and took my wife and grandaughter (2 of the 4 Island Girls) for its maiden voyage. She will be docked/moored in Planting Island Cove in Marion, MA

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Launched

Jeff,

Congratulations!!!!  I've really enjoyed my Peeler and you will as well.  She's very stable and confidence inspiring out on the saltwater.  Mine throws a bit of spray heading into a high chop, but is very comfortable with 4 adults and their gear aboard.

I recently acquired a GPS application called MX Mariner for my Android tablet.  Lets me download free marine charts from NOAA and has all the normal positioning and navigation tools.  Saves lugging paper charts around.

This Winter I'm planning to install a forward steering station in my Peeler---I'm not yet sure I want the CLC center console.  At my age, I need to sit.  Steering with the outboard's tiller tires my back.

What motor did you choose?  Have you tried oars with her (for backup propulsion).

Regards,

Dick

Thanks.  I bought a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust that included electric start and power tilt (both are good for my wife and kids). It is a great motor .The only issue to date is the tendancy to ride nose high.  I ordered a tiller extension and will install doel fins or the equivalent when I pull the motor this Fall. It will live in the water so I added an automatic bildge pump and rudimentary electrical system.

Jeff,

I bought a Yamaha 9.9 as well (but without the electric start and power tilt).  I'm really happy with it, but the Yamaha tiller is so well padded, that I've had no success with the tiller extension.  I just keeps popping off.

One of the reasons that I want to set up a midships to forward steering station is to get better weight distribution.  My teenaged grandson is getting tired of always being stationed in the bow as ballast.

When I was a boy, I spent a lot of time on Narragansett Bay in a flat-bottomed quahog skiff.  The Peeler is considerably stronger as well as much lighter and drier.  Though she's easy to launch and recover from a trailer, it's not a one man job.  I'll be looking for a slip or mooring for next year, so I guess I'll have to rig a bilge pump too.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.