Shop Cam -scaled Nanoship in back?

Looks like a scale version of the new Nanoship in the rear of the shop on the shop cam. John will will building a full version mid month at Woodenboat workshop. Hope it won't be long until we get a good at the completed hull.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shop Cam -scaled Nanoship in back?

I was just at the shop yesterday and can confirm that it is indeed a 50% scale Nanoship. I think that they're planning on mounting supersoakers in it and the 50% Eastport Pram for the new reality TV series, Toddler Sea Battles. (I also heard that John's daughter is going to be a ringer, so bet on her.)

Seriously, though, It was fun to see the boat in 3D. Once again, I was prepared to be quietly unimpressed. The line drawings made it seem like some funny-looking pot-bellied oddity to me. Once again, I was stunned by the sculptural beauty of the actual 3D shape. You'd think I'd know better by now since this has happened to me in the past with the SIS and WD12. Even at 50% scale it has quite a presence. That raked transom actually makes perfect sense in person.

Seeing the internal arrangements, it looks as if it will be a very capable and comfortable boat. The benches and footwell especially bode well for those who can no longer find comfort seated on a floor. I hope that the prototype comes to a boatshow near us, soon.

Have fun all,

Laszlo

Laz. How did the cockpit floor look? I'm interested in the Nanoship as it is designed to have a self bailing cockpit. This will allow me to dock the ship without worrying about bailing after every rainfall. It also has water ballast so hiking out won't be necessary. At age 70+ deeper seats sound good to my aching back. Lets demand that John show us some photos of the model and also keep up coverage of real build next week. 

I am also closely watching Nanoship's development .  I am looking for a lightweight daysailer that has good stablilty and which can be hauled and launched easily.  I sail a Cape Dory in MA, but I am looking for something that we can tow when we start retreating south for the bad part of the winter.  I am also almost done with my Peeler and I am looking forward to my next project.  I have my eye on both the Nanoship and the Scamp.

If I could get away I would be in Maine next week, and I am still thinking about taking a long ride (6.5 hours each way) to have a look.

First off, let me preface that what I'm remembering here is probably not be 100% accurate since I took only a very quick look inside the model (it was being varnished on the inside and I was trying not to interfere with the work).

From what I saw on the model, there's a wet well in the back that the outboard sits in. In front of that, there's a pretty standard looking pair of benches with a footwell between them. The benches are closed, presumably for flotation and storage. If I remember correctly, the benches are arranged in a U shape, with a long one down each side of the boat and a crossing bench at the bow under the foredeck. (The benches on the side are absolutely there, it's the crossing bench that I'm hazy about.)

The aft end of the footwell is separated from the wet well by a bulkhead that comes up to bench level. If the bottom of the footwell is above the waterline, it'd be a simple thing to make it self-bailing with the installation of some angled tubes to the outside world. The motion of the boat through water would cause a suction that would pull the water from the cockpit. Here's how it's done on the Faering Cruiser:

Drain holes are on the lower left below.

For the final authoritative word, we'll have to wait for CLC to post some pictures.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.