Lines Led Aft On NE Dory

The first one below is the mock up "beta trial" from last summer.  To see if it worked I lashed it to the mast thward.  It did work so last winter I modified the mast thwart to provide a solid base for the cam cleats. (Thanks John for advising re: strength of the mast thwart and downward load being OK)   This week I was on a two day sail and it was great to be able to control the downhaul, halyard, and lazy jacks while seated all from the sailing position.  I still have one modification to make.  When one of the lines was under load (especially the halyard) it was hard to snap it up and out of the cleat so I am going to order and install some wedges to tip the cam cleats toward the back of the boat.  The other mod I might make is to add a forth block/cam cleat for a second downhaul, you can see I left room for it, so I would have one downhaul lashed to the boom way  forward and one more aft so I can move the sail forward for downwind legs and move it back for upwind legs, alathough just leaving the current downhaul very loose almost did the same thing of moving the sail forward.

I am pleased with this mod, so if you want other picture angles let me know.

Curt

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Lines Led Aft On NE Dory

Man, you do nice work Curt.

this line intrigued me...

"so I can move the sail forward for downwind legs and move it back for upwind legs"

Whuchyoutalkinbout Willis?

Thanks for the kudos, and that quote literally laugh out loud, thanks for the humor break!!

I am not an authority on this at all, but my understanding is that if you want to trim a balanced lug rig sail, the boom goes forward downwind and moves back closer to the mast upwind.  Here's one example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=axBTt1yjupQ

I also have a video of my boat under sail where you can see the very loose downhaul, allowing the leading edge of the sail to go way forward of the mast in a downwind situation.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE#6174041832336233234

If I do a double downhaul, I would lash the current downhaul a foot or so behind the normal downhaul lashing location on the boom, which when tightened would make the foot of the sail shift forward like in my video for downwind situations, then I would need another line  (a forth block and cleat) lashed to the forward end of the boom, which when tightened would make the foot of the sail come back close to the mast for upwind situations.

Make sense?

Curt

From the pics it looks like we're about the same age, thought you would get the reference.

I get why you want the boom in the right place reaching and beating. Puts center of effort of sail in proper relationship with CE of daggerboard. But what benefit is having the boom forward running? Also, having a loose downhall, would your sail be all bagged out? And wouldn't an unintentional gybe under those conditions be unpleasant? Second downhall would ease my mind on that score though.

Thanks for the education...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.