Tiller Extension Swivel By Racelite Worked GREAT On My Dory

I tried a Racelite Tiller Extension Swivel to connect the tiller extension to the offset rudder on my CLC NE Dory, and it worked GREAT in a 2-day sail this week, plus it is a much more positive attachment method than the original version of running a piece of line thru both pieces, rudder control is much more responsive.  You can see I rounded the end of the tiller extension so it can freely pivot or lift up when needed.  It is secured with 10-24 machine screws and cap nuts.  I was thinking about putting a quick release removable pin in the swivel but since my tiller is removable from the rudder, storage with the tiller and tiller extension still  connected is not a problem, besides a quick release pin is more likely to get caught on something and come out than the pin that came with the swivel.  

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/p-g/rl494/index.htm

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tiller Extension Swivel By Racelite Worked GREAT On My Dory

I decided to incorporate one of these swivels on my skerry.  I haven't sailed it yet, but it looks like it will do nicely and it was a cinch to install.  Very reasonably priced, IMO, also.

Great suggestion!  It's going on my Dory!  Thanks! 

I got to sail it a bit last week.  It worked fine, moves freely, very little slop.  Mind you I still need to get used to the push/pull tiller, but the swivel joint stays.  I will be adding a small lanyard to the free end of the tiller so I don't lose the end over the side and have to stretch back to the side arm to retrieve it again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.