NE Dory update - first day sailing!

I finished my NE Dory build about a month ago and had it out several times for rowing trips, but I have not had the opportunity to get out to try the sloop sail rig until today!   I have never sailed before so I was cautious about picking a protected local reservoir near Park City, Utah and a day with light winds.   I launched with some clumsy sheet and line handling, but soon sorted that out.  I have read several sailing books and scoured the internet for lessons and tips on how tack and jibe. Fortunately all went well. 

I am really impressed by the stability and forgiving nature of the NE dory.  I did spring for the extra $$ to get the sloop upgrade kit.  I think this was money well spent, especially the swiveling cam cleats for the jib lines.  This made it easier to concentrate on the rudder and mainsail.

After this first sail I have several adjustments that I need to do, like tighten the shroud lines, and put some leather on the bottom of the tiller extension to prevent rail rubbing.

One great thing about the day was meeting local sailing people who manage a sailing club with lessons!  I plan to sign up so I can really learn how to do this proper.

Some intial picks below.

I am hooked!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/i2FWgVY5uJrwQyegbcwgjHSyVepnF91SaYZ2b-7Z7Q=w590-h786-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EeDoefnDWB_A0xQy64zRk_PzTRHVjtqDovn-OH0wUQ=w935-h702-no

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory update - first day sailing!

sorry, started using a new image hosting site...

Nice job on the NE Dory. I hope you can make it to the wooden boat rendezvous with us on 9/10/2016 at Rockport Marina, UT, 1000-1600 MT.

Great work!  what lake were you on?

Curt

Looking good! I am also within days of putting my dory in the lake and taking my first sail.  It too has a sloop rig with the upgrade which in the driveway worked well. First I have to drive 800 miles to the lake (Intermediate Lake, NW lower Michigan) though.

See you on the water Curt!

Dave M.

Timber Cruiser beautiful boat, my kayak kit is between Maryland and N Salt Lake. I hope to have it on some of Utah's lakes before too long

Capefox, I will try to make it to the Rockport Marina this Sept.

Mike

Excellent job.  I have decided on the sloop rig as well. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.