Small flecks in the paint

I have primed and applied three coats of Interlux paint to my kayak and still have some flecks that sit slightly proud to the painted surface.  I sanded with 320 between coats and cleaned the kayak with water, followed by isopropyl alcohol and lastly a tack rag.  The shop has been vaccumed (walls and ceiling also) and the floor washed.  I am using an exhaust fan which is vented to the outside since it is Wisconsin in the winter here.  Can these imperfections be buffed out?  Any other ideas?  I am pleased with the paint job otherwise (foam roller with minimal paint followed by a foam brush).

Scott

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Small flecks in the paint

I'd be happy with that! - but maybe switch the fan off, at least until the surface is touch-dry.   If the fan is doing its stuff it will be dragging air out of your workshop and moving microsopic specks with it - that then attain giant-size when settling on the fresh paint!

Llol from Oz

Thanks Lol, the boat looks great from several feet away but not so hot up close!  I'm resanding with 320 grit and we'll try another coat and see what happens.  I have some small runs and other imperfections that need work anyway.

Do you have to do anything after the last coat of paint if it looks OK?  Do you buff with rubbing compound or other mild abrasive?  Add a coat of wax?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Scott

g'day Scottacus.   If you take a look at Eric's post dated Dec 24th about his Shearwater hybrid there are several photos and other details of his finishing techniques towards the end of the many photos.   Although it covers his fully-varnished craft the same principles would apply, I'm sure - wet-and-dry sanding, buffing, waxing, etc.

I'd be interested in your final solutions as I will also be painting the hull on completion.

Cheers...

Lol from Oz

Well, let me just say, I have no experience trying to paint. My varnishing skills still need work. But I set my standards low, and try to work down from there. Here is another link to some advice from John Caldeira's site, which I have found really helpful. He is using a plastic tarp as a tent to reduce dust. I'm guessing your problem is dust? Maybe turn off the fan, use a fresh organic vapor mask and just clear out of the general vicinity until the paint has hardened, then air out all the vapors when you return?

And regarding standards, I think they really do relax naturally (for me at least) as time goes by after the last coat, and as my priorities readjust towards getting out on the water:)

From the pictures, it looks like a beautiful job to me. And most people aren't going to look all that close!

--

Ogata (eric)

I think I have found the problem.  When I received my can of paint it was completely seperted and i stirred it for about 5 minutes to completely mix it.  I noticed a little resistance to stirring on the bottom of the can and it seemed like I was scraping against a film.  When i was painting yesterday I shined a strong light on the paint and lo and behold the "dust" was already showing on the paint surface.  it wasn't dust at all but flecks stirred up from my initial paint mixing!!!  That explained why all of the "flecks" were the same shade of white as the glossy paint.  I think I am going to write Interlux and see what they have to say!

Scott

You can get a paint strainer at any hardware store paint department. Looks kind of like cheesecloth. I always strain my varnish through one when I pour it out. Every can is different it seems. Some are thick, some are thinner, some have more or less junk floating around in there. The junk is easily taken out with a strainer.

--

Ogata (eric)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.