New to forum say hello

Hi all, from Cincinnati and attending the Wooden Boat Show in Mystic this weekend. Stopped by the Chesapeake booth at the show and ended up ordering 2 kits

Annapolis Wherry and a Skerry

I will be hanging out a while reading the forum for some tips. Not my first build, but it is my first stitch and glue.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: New to forum say hello

Cheers!  Building is certainly addictive.

Greetings from Nova Scotia. My two tips - Frist, save all the cardboard from your kit boxes; I used it over and over to support parts while moving them and to make temporary work surfaces and to protect the floor. Second, get a hot hair dryer or craft heat gun - they came in really handy for removing unwanted cured epoxy. I just finished my Expedition Wherry and launched her last night. Wow. I could not have done it without help from this forum - I am eternally grateful to all who answered my questions. I had very little woodworking experience but thanks to CLC folk, the forum and the "Tips for Boatbuilders" page I muddled through. In the words of Rosie the Riveter "We Can Do It". Here are pics from our naming ceremony last night. (Hope this works - you may have to copy and paste to view). Now it seems silly to let all those boat-building skills go to waste. I wonder if any of my children need a kayak.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132585402@N02/shares/3B8Q03

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132585402@N02/shares/66Ass0

By the way, I named her Rosie.

Cheers and good luck with your boats, Judy

Judy, that's a great looking Expedition Wherry. Congrats! How did she do on the water?

ddeaton, welcome to the forum. Good luck on the builds. Looking forward to your progress reports and maybe some pics.

SullivanB

Thanks, she was smooth as silk and not too cranky as we used to say in Nfld. There were growing pains: our marina docks are to high for entry and exit and there was the issue of what to do with her while I went off to get the trailer - she got her first smudges and a ding when she drifted under someone's outboard motor. Best get those first dings out of the way early. I had not tightened one oarlock and I am still lucky to have it. But what a boat! She tracked beautifully and yet could spin on a dime. One HUGE problem however. It's darned hard to get on the water - everyone wants to talk about your boat. I may have to hire a balloon twisting clown to distract the crowds while I sneak away from the dock. John Harris designs nice boats.

DDeaton - are you going to build them one at a time or side by side?

Might do them side by side, although the Wherry is for the wife and she wants to do as much of the build as possible. I have a Davis Penobscot 17 I built a year ago that needs only minor touches to finish it. I need to get it on the water.

I was leaning towards the balanced lug rug for the Sperry until I talked with all the old timers in the small craft association at the show. After some hands on and talking with them I am going with the sprit rig. It is so nice to hang out at a show like this, you can bounce around all the vendors and get a ton of information in a short amount of time. All the major paint, epoxy, and varnish vendors were at the show.

I will post pics of the progress

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.