Polyethylene Plastic Sheeting

Here's an incredibly basic question.  I'm getting ready to start building a Northeaster Dory and, relative to the epoxy work, I see that I should use polyethylene plastic sheeting to keep my pieces from sticking to their surroundings.  The plastic sheeting I'm finding in the local stores says nothing about polyethylene.  My sense of it is, however, that most plastic sheeting sold is polyethylene.  Is that right?  Can anyone help me with this?  

Thanks.  Bob

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Polyethylene Plastic Sheeting

I don't think the epoxy sticks to any smooth plastic.  I've used packing tape, scotch tape, and 2 mil "dropcloth" film to make epoxy barriers.  They all work.  Also, the epoxy doesn't stick to any of the plastic containers I've used to mix it in.  

Hooper Williams

Brevard, NC

Most of the bulk plastic roll material in retail stores is polyethylene. Thin drop cloths start at .5 mil (0.0005" & won't hold up to much re-use) & can be found in 2 mil thickness for the least $/sq. ft. Go up to clear (transculent; it's not 'glass' clear) or black roll material that typically is sold in 2, 4 and 6 mil thicknesses, the latter two popular for construction interior vapor barrier.

Warps is a popular brand of products but there are others out there. 'Visqueen' is a generic name for the stuff, also sold in garden supply stores as sheet plastic mulch. 

As with most things if you have some epoxy, some visqueen, "ploy" sheeting, etc try it on some scrap and see.

Poly, plastic sheeting, etc found at Lowes/Home Depot is likely Polyethylene.  Wax paper works but mine left a film. But it had to be sanded anyway.  Poly just acts as a bond breaker. I'd use 4 or 6 mil.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.