WD Overlap issue

After applying the tack epoxy on the hull and deck panels and putting the two halfs together, there is one area between the forward deck and bow panel that developed a slight overlap.  The overlap is about 1/16 to 1/8 for a about one foot.  BTW the rest of the kayak fit together perfectly.

Now that everything has cured, I am looking for the best fix.  The way I see it is to sand the joint smooth and probably sand through the top deck veneer or to mix a solution of exoxy and wood flour and apply to the overlap and sand it down once its cured. 

If I did sand through the veneer on the top panel, whould the error be masked by the darkening of the fiberglass cloth and epoxy along with the use of a wood stain scratch pen (used for furniture repair)?

Any advice is appreciated................

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD Overlap issue

First, it's only an error if you didn't mean to do it.

Second, it would look something like this:

(the dark line at the interface between the deck and hull. The blotch below is actually my reflection while I was taking the picture).

3rd, if that wood stain pen is oil-based it would keep the epoxy from being absorbed by the wood, so don't use it until you've tested it on some scrap.

As you can see, I sanded my overlap away and decided that it wouldn't bother me in the least to have the dark line.As you see, I also left the stitch hole visible. The boat still floats. If anyone else is bothered by it, I say go worry about global warming instead :-) So far no one's been bothered.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.