Gluing

The planks that meet the transom are tight. The planks that join at the bow plate are not as tight as they need to be. If I over-creank on the wire they will break. Can I create a clamp made by useing a length of rope twisted tight like a tourniquet to bring the planks into a more complete contact with the plate? That would let me tighten the wires to get a more complete contact plank to bow plate.

I want to finish the enterior with a cherry stain and varnish. The stain goes on prior to the epoxy. How about the varnish?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Gluing

Which boat?

Stain first, then epoxy, then varnish.

And don't use an oil-based stain or the epoxy will never stick.

Laszlo

The boat is an Eastport Pram. I used a length of cotton rope that I cranked down as tight as I dared. It snugged the planks to the transom and bow plate with two very minor gaps that should fill easily. I tightened up every copper stitch so that every one is secure. 

Congratulations!  You've just invented the Spanish Windlass!  

Alcohol based aniline dyes (TransTint) are very powerful and shouldn't be affected by the epoxy coats.  I build furniture and a piece I made with alcohol based aniline dye was followed by alcohol based shellac, which dissolved the dye!

Yes, stain, epoxy, varnish.  Stain colors the bare wood, epoxy waterproofs it and varnish provides UV protection on top...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.