Cockpit Combing Loose

Hi,

I bought a very old CLC kayak that had sat in a garage for many years and am restoring it.  I am new to this.  On the side of the cockpit combing where it meets the deck I can tell that some of it is loose.  I can't see a gap but can hear it seperate when I lift the kayak.  The loose section is probably one to three inches What is the best way to glue this?  I have wood glue and liquid nails.  I was going to buy some Loctite marine Epoxy but the set time was very short.  Is there thing I can put in a syringe and it will seep inbetween the deck and combing?  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cockpit Combing Loose

You probably can't get in there to sand the loose sections. If you can pry it open with a putty knife or thin screwdriver, you could try 30 minute epoxy. Don't use the 5 minute kind, by the time you get it mixed it is already going off. If you can't open it up very much you could try CA glue. Basically super glue, get the medium kind from a hobby/craft shop. Good luck. JRC.

RE: Cockpit Combing Loose

i think its pretty important to stick with marine grade epoxy.   CA and some of the 30 minute or 5 minute epoxies are not waterproof.

regular mas or west system epoxy thickened with cabosil to mustard consistency should do the trick.  as JRC mentioned, you may want to pry it up and you will need to be careful to ensure you force epoxy into the crack.   you could use a syringe to ensure you get it in there or push it in firmly with a gloved finger while working the joint to pull the epoxy in.

the other thing i would recommend is glass the coaming inluding the inside (over the layers of wood).  you could also put a small fillet of wood flour thickened epoxy on the outside between the deck and the riser to reinforce everything.

i broke one of my coamings (seperated the coaming from the riser) on a clc boat that i rolled a lot and subjected the coaming to a lot of stress.  so i now glass the coaming and put a small fillet to make it bullet proof.

howard

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.