17lt ok to test run?

�Any harm to put it in water before paint or varnish For 3 or 4 hours?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 17lt ok to test run?

As long as it's completely epoxied and the epoxy is completely cured, no problem. Personally, I think it's a great idea and do it with all my boats, sometimes for a month or so. That way, if I have to make any changes, it's before I've spent weeks sanding, varnishing and painting.

Enjoy the ride,

Laszlo

���Is it really necessary to paint or varnish?

Gerald,

Yes, it is important to paint or varnish.  UV light from the sun will destroy epoxy and eventually your boat.

You do not, however, have to finish the boat like a fine piece of furniture if you don't want to.  A good workboat finish takes a fraction of the labor and protects as well or better.  I have absolutely no brightwork on my Peeler Skiff and it still gets complements.

Cheers,

Dick

My 3 kayaks have varnish but I did not want to waste paddling hours with sanding.  There are still drips of epoxy showing and people still tell me how beautiful the boats are.  One comment.  It is a lot easier to sand epoxy after 2 days than after 2 months.  The stuff does get much harder.  If you want to get it to a "coffee table" finish do not wait too long.  

Ed  

Thanks to all for the information.  Not building a show piece but want to do as Laszo suggest.  At 78 I just want to keep paddling.  Not interested in complements.  Great forum!

Gee, Gerald, I'm only 69.  Keep paddling!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.