Finishing the Hull

I've begun sanding smooth the epoxy on the hull of my NE Dory. Orbital sander with 120 grit paper. It sure is tedious work (and as a first-timer I have been quite generous with the epoxy). The bottom panel is nice and smooth now and I can see the weave in places. Problem is I still have tiny bright specs of unsanded epoxy glimmering back at me. I'm guessing that pre-kote won't stick to unsanded epoxy but I can't seem to get the (damn) things to sand out (!).  

Advice/comments most welcome.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finishing the Hull

Sawfish,

I do not think you'll have any issues with the PreKote sticking if you've thoroughly cleaned the surface first.  I used Interlux 202 Fiberglass Solvent Wash and the PreKote stuck like glue.  The high-build PreKote is perfect for filling those tiny little dimples so you don't have too much opportunity to sand into the fiberglass.

Sanding PreKote creates a lot of very fine dust that can get into everything.  I had a HEPA Dust Extractor attached to my orbital sander so it wasn't too much of a problem.  Be warned, and don't breathe the stuff.  Also, I believe John Harris once mentioned that PreKote attracts moisture so make sure you get the Brightsides on it before it's exposed to high humidity.

I'm very pleased with my Brightsides over PreKote finish.  I buffed the exterior with very fine compound and it looks like good gelcoat.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.