Cloth dimensions and weight

Hello there

I am trying to put together a list of materials before contemplating a build. I have been trying to convert imperial to metric and seem to come up short on a couple of things.

Cloth: Need 50" which is 1.27m, I can only get 1m widths

Im wanting to build a Sassafras12, would there be an issue with that width (too narrow) cutting it too fine?

What is 'non blushing' hardner and why is needed as opposed to 'standard' hardner

Wood flour: could I use West System 410 Microlight Filler?

Cell-O-Fill: Is there an equivelent?

This all new to me

Thanks/regards

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cloth dimensions and weight

I take it then you're not in the US? Where are you writing from? Depending, international shipping might be justified.

If you really can't find the recommended width cloth you can use multiple overlapping pieces. This can be a bit fiddly so full size pieces might be easier for a neophite. I'll leave it to others who have more experience with this particular canoe to suggest alternate layups if appropriate.

"Blush" refers to an annoying film that can appear on curing epoxy. It's easy enough to deal with so I wouldn't fret if you can't secure a formulation that doesn't bill itself as "non blushing."

Different epoxy fillers have different applications. The Microlight Filler is ideally a "fairing" filler- it gives the epoxy enough body to fill imperfections in a hull without dripping off before hardening. It's easy to sand and therefore feather into surrounding wood, but this also means it doesn't add strength to the epoxy. Before swapping out different fillers take a look at the application: is it meant for added gluing or structural strength? I wouldn't use the microlight filler or its equivalents for anything but fairing.

Cell-O-Fill is a substitute for fumed silica. Brand names for the silica include Aerosil and Carbosil. Think of this as being on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Microlight filler- these products offer a lot of strength and are hard to sand.

Good luck- you're in for a fun time.

Patrick

I'll try to answer your questions in reverse. 

1.  West System microlight is a fairing compound made to be applied in thin coats and very easily sanded. It has nowhere the strength afforded by wood flour when used as a filet material. Wood flour is also cheaper.  

Some hardeners used with epoxy resins create a wax coating, blush,  on the surface of the material when it cures. In order to do anything else to the surface, add more epoxy, paint, etc, the wax must be removed. Fortunately this material is easily removed with soap and water but with, for instance, filets, do you want to wash the filets next to the bare wood before adding the glass cloth?  You can't sand it off, that will just grind it deeper into the surface. When you're "spot welding" with epoxy on your hull between the wires holding the hull together, are you really going to take your unfinished plywood boat outside and wash it?

As far as 50" cloth width, you can get that from right here at CLC.  Jamestown distributors sells  10 yard 50" roll for about $65.  

Ok

Thanks for that.

Im in New zealand, so shipping plays a big part in selection. Cloth here is not too badly priced, just a matter of finding some thats wide enough.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.