NE Dory belay pins

Hi,  

I am thinking if NE Dory may have belay pins instead of the mast cleats. (lug rig option). Is it OK to drill holes into the partner or would it compromise it's structure?

I appreciate your thoughts

Matej

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory belay pins

I would build and mount a pinrail to the the mast instead of using the partner. 

JP

Completely different idea, but for my dory halyard   and downhaul I am using stand up turning blocks and clam cleats on each side of the mast bolted to the mast thwart so I can lay the lines loose in the boat and set, adjust, or douse either line from the sailing position.  In the process of that idea development John Harris told me it would not sacrifice the mast thwart strength to cut back the ribs a little and bolt the hardware to the flat part of the mast thwart. 

Dont know if that helps....

Curt

Okay. . . I just looked at the drawing of the mast partner and you could also double up the thickness of the partner around the mast with a piece of 3/4" hardwood extending 10 inches or so on each side of the mast. You could drill the pin holes through the doubled partner with no worries. The added thickness will also benifit the seat of the belay pin.

JP

I like your second idea, JP. Sounds like it could be visually appealing and structurally sound.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.