Storing Epoxy

I have a goodly amount of resin and hardener left over.  I've removed the pumps and replaced them with the original caps.  The question is what is the best temperature to store the resin and hardener?  I keep unused urethane sealant in the frig and it greatly extends it's life, but what about epoxy?

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Storing Epoxy

Cool, but above freezing. If it does freeze, or just crystallize, warm it in 120 degree (fahrenheit) water until all the crystals have melted.

Laszlo

Lazlo,

How about the other extreme?  I live in Palm Desert and my shop / garage can get up to 110 degrees in the summer.  To hot to work, but all the materials still sit there.  I have some epoxy left fromt my last project and I am hoping I can still use it for my Shearwater 17 this winter.

Paul

Sorry Paul, I haven't had any experience at those temps. Right about now they sound really good, though.

Merry Christmas from freezing MD,

Laszlo

Paul Check your watch, it already IS this winter. Hard to tell in PD or Miami Beach where I am. I've kept epoxy for two or more years here with the only problem being the traffic on the way to my storage room from all the snowbirds on the road. SEEYA Jack

Chips,

I have stored epoxy (WEST) for over a year in a cool area. Sometimes it "turns" and smell like ammonia but that does not affect it's performance.

Sounds like I'm the test case for hot-stored epoxy.  I'll do some tests when I get started on my next project and report back on the results. 

Yes I know winter is here, but my wife is still home on leave and these boat building projects are to keep me happy while she is seeing the world as a UAL flight attendant.  That's why my first boat is named "FRIENDLY SKIES"  Keel laying will most likely be in late January.

Merry Christmas to all you folks freezing on the mainland.  It's 81 in Maui.

Paul

With a temperature range of 30 to 90 MAS and West Systems held it together pretty well. OTOH I had some TAP product completely go south on me. The hardener wouldn't do the trick, and months later, the kayak was still sticky to the touch. The next batch of Epoxy I buy (West Systems - I like them best) will go in a fairly tight cabinet with a thermostat and and heater (a light bulb may be enough). Given that the stuff is expensive, and the manufacturers seem to feel pretty strongly about storing temperatures, I'd like to maximize the liklihood of an uncomprimised product.

For those who mat wonder what the answer to my question on 12/24 regarding storage in very hot weather - I have done the test.  I finished my MC 16.5 in Dec 07 and since I, as a first time builder, used to much epoxy, I had to buy more.  That excess, quite an investment, has been sitting in my garage for a year now (with the pumps still in the jugs).  In mid August we moved to Palm Desert, CA where daytime temps thru Sept. can reach 110+.  No one seemed to know how this would effect the stored epoxy.  Well I put together a test joint Thursday afternoon (while most of you were watching football).  Overnight it curred up just fine (wood breaks, but glue joint holds).  After I take a row this morning in my MC, I will glue up the first joints on my Searwater 17 Hybrid.

Paul G

Hot & cold.  I store resin (MAS & System Three) in Montana through the winter and in AZ through the summer.  In MT it's at freezing or below, in the uncooled garage in AZ temps get over 100 degrees for a couple of months.  I've been doing this for three years and the resin works just fine.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.