Aluminum or carbon fiber sectional spars

Has anyone tried to rig a sailing version of a CLC craft with either sectional aluminum or carbon fiber spars? The presumed advantages being less weight aloft, easier to step and unstep while on the water. Downside is obviously cost. Any other downsides? Other comments?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Aluminum or carbon fiber sectional spars

There was a seriously tricked-out Chesapeake 17 with sailing rig that showed up at Okoumefest and MASCF, won some prizes. I believe that it was built by Pam Clagett (hope I spelled that correctly). Not only did it have an aluminum mast, it had mylar and carbon fiber sails.

I can't think of any downside other than the price, but if you build it yourself it gets cheaper.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Does anyone know where we can get used spars say 30-40 ft?

CF, Alloy or birdmouth spars

Very Best Robin

Here is the link to some pictures of Pam's beauty

http://www.clcboats.com/newsarchives/okoumefest-chesapeake-small-boat-festival-2011-page2.html

The Passagemaker has a two-piece aluminum mast stock, with an interior sleeve to join them.  I'm glad I live close to Online Metals!  I actually sourced a carbon fiber mast locally (to save shipping) and it was prohibitively expense.  I can't remember the price now, but I seem to remember it was close to the cost of the boat.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.