Runs in my varnish

I've been spraying my varnish on the boat{sws} and it's been working pretty well except my final coat I put some big runs in it. Can I sand and buff rubbing compound on it to take these out? I have tried this before but could not get the shine to come back from the sanding. When I did it before the boat had dried for 4 days is all. I have heard that body guys do this when they get a run in there paint. Can anyone help with info on taking these runs out. I'm out of varnish now and hate to start over. Thanks....Jim

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Runs in my varnish

Jim,

Wet sand the runs with 400 then use the Meguiars Scratch X to take out any swirl marks the sanding may have created, then Buff with Meguiars #9, then a good wash with Dawn and warm water then wax with a quality carnuba paste wax.  I only recommend this if you have applied more than 5 coats as you can burn through the varnis pretty easily if you are using an electric or air buffer.

JP

I did try that once but couldn't get the shine to come back, I wonder if I did it to early, it had only been dry for 4 days. Thanks for your help....Jim   

4000 grit and Meguiars liquid rubbing compound. 4000 wet cuts pretty quick, be gentle...good luck!

When you have many coats built up it will take more than four days to harden enough to buff.  It can be done, but you will need to wait.  I did a mahagony bar top and it continuted to shrink and harden for a couple of months after I had sanded and buffed it.  Same with bright work I have done in the past.

If you want to get it done now I would sand to repair the area (flatten/fair) then scuff the entire surface and respray.  Fastest and you will like the results... if you don't run it again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.