sanded through inner fiberglass

When laying the inner fiberglass on my Skerry I got slight ripples where the bottom meets the garboard. In sanding these down, I have sanded through the fiberglass in a few spots ( three or four) resulting in small holes , from pea size to 1/4 inch. My question is, are these important? do they need to be repaired? I could lay a strip of fiberglass down the seam and taper it in, but probably would not if these small holes don't compromise anything, but I ask the wisdom of the forum, being a complete novice

John

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: sanded through inner fiberglass

Don't worry about 'em. The bottom cloth is mainly for abrasion resistance so a few small spots won't matter. Enjoy the build!

George K

RE: sanded through inner fiberglass

Laszlo,  Got it, so it appears the points where the shock cord is secured are on the starboard side and the little hooks are on port, both of which must be attached to the sail...to add this to my lug sail it appears it would require sewing one or the other on the sail.  Wouldnt work to bring the shock cord down to the boom, would need to wrap around the boom like you described...do you know of any other clever methods easier and quicker than tying reef nettles?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.