Reefing NE Dory Lugsail

Hi, 

I've never sailed a boat with reefing so a simple question.

I have the lugsail for NE Dory which has holes and "ribbons"for reefing.

However, the manual calls for permanent attachment of the foot of the sail to the boom.

How do I reef? What is the process of getting from full sail to a reefed one? Thanks so much!

Matej

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Reefing NE Dory Lugsail

Matej,   Great topic and lots of info on it in the forum....you might want to put the word "reef" into the search box above...to get some great reading material.

RE: Reefing NE Dory Lugsail

Matej,  not too long ago, I posted a question on the Forum about how many reef points one (especially a novice) ought to have on a Skerry 15 sail and I got some great responses. Member Eric Vance brought up the subject of "jiffy-reefing", something I'd never heard of and I decided to look for examples. I came across this video of a very simple yet seemingly effective jiffy-reefing setup for the balanced lug rig on a Phoenix III. It looks pretty easy to set up and seems like it ought to work reasonably well. Maybe most importantly, everything is easy to see and understand on this video, something that ain't necessarily so with the written and film descriptions of the reefing I've come across. I stowed this one away for future reference when I buy or build my own boat. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E35-enwImJw

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.