Wood Duck 12 or 14?

Hello everyone,

First post here on CLC, but I've been brousing for awhile. I've read posts all the way back to January 2012. There is a lot of info here.

Dispite all the reading I've done, I'm having a hard time deciding between the Wood Duck 12' and the 14'. To begin with I'm 6' and 250 lbs. My size isn't the problem though.

I live in Miami and enjoy paddling the small creeks and channels through the mangroves. I'm paddeling a Tahe Marine 494 at 16' long. It gets real tite and hard to manuever is some of the creeks I get into. Especially when the tide is running. So, I want a boat that is easier to manuever in tight spaces. That's when I want the WD 12.

I also want to do some kayak camping. At 250 lbs with a weeks worth of food and camping gear, I'm thinking that the WD 14 is the way to go.

OK, the actual question. How much weight have you Wood Duck 12 owners had in your boats?

Thanks

Bob

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 12 or 14?

My Dad and Wife both paddle WD12s, My sister has a WD14. (It is complicated) My dad has been on several Everglades trips in his WD12. He is about 150 lbs, and packing light, he hasn't had a problem yet. My Bro-in-law packed for the same trip, at 250 Lbs in the WD14 and was taking on water with a 1-1.5 foot following sea. Had to rondezvous and pump out his kayak. So, even with the 14 you will need to pack light to get in a weeks worth of gear. The WD14 is also a little bit easier to build. The bottom panels have a little bit more length to make the required twist. I would also highly recommend a skirt. Good luck, JRC.

Bob,

I've had a bit over 300 lbs in my WD12. It rode low, wasn't as nimble as 220 lbs but in still water it was perfectly safe and dry. That day I had it on the upper Patuxent River with the tide against the wind with little 6" waves. Absolutely no problem. 

I've also had it out in a small craft advisory with the wind against the tide, motorboat wakes, reflections off a sea wall and 3-foot waves with whitecaps. As it rode down the front of the waves, the bow would bury all the way up to the coaming before rising up out of the water again. That was at 200 or so and I definitely would never want to do that at 300.

If you're going to stay in still, protected waters you can overload the heck out of it, but if it's going to be messy you want to stay within the guidelines.

BTW, the WD12 works very nicely in tight quarters. It's my favorite boat to take through the wild rice marshes up here. It can paddlle backwards as easily as forwards and the deck/sprayskirt keeps the multi-legged (and legless) hitchhikers out of your lap.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks for the info guys.

JRC, There is just too much of a chance of being caught in rough water in this area. Granted it probably wouldn't be "loaded" for camping but I don't want to limit myself in any way. Sounds like the 14 it is.

Laszlo, I read your blog before I started reading backwards into the forum. You did a beautiful job of building your boat. You have good reason to be proud. Also, you have been a wealth of info on the forums. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I ordered the manual for the 14 and have read through it. It all looks quite simple to me, but this will be my second wood boat. My father and I built a Stevans Vacationer 21, 10 years ago. I've got him excited about building the Wood Duck. He's reading through the manual now. We plan to order the kit next month. I can't wait to get started. I haven't had any projects lately and it's driving me nuts. Gotta get the garage set up for a build first.

Later, Bob

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.