PLANS PROJECT FIBERGLASS BUYING, LOOKING FOR OPEN KAYAK FIBERGLASS PROJECTS

Hello, I would like to congratulate all, the quality of content that boasts the forum and for the courtesy staff, you guys are congratulated.
I'm doing a project to build an open fiberglass kayak, as the image on the link below, the main objective is to improve my knowledge with the use of composite materials.

So, I would like to buy, or use a free design with a similar geometry.
Anyone know a good project?

Images link: http://www.fibrascaron.com.br/produto/ver/146/caiaque-azul-caicara-122014

I thank the answer!
In sequence I send you more progress information!

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: PLANS PROJECT FIBERGLASS BUYING, LOOKING FOR OPEN KAYAK FIBERGLASS PROJECTS

One more thing, my English is not good, hehehe.

Olá Vitor,

Meu português não é tão bom assim espero que faça sentido.  Não sei de todos os kits de caiaque de fibra de vidro bom... mas existem alguns bons stich e kits de colagem no site do CIC. Você deve verificar se o Wood Duck, Mill Creek ou Sea Island.

JP

Hello Vitor

My Portuguese is not so good so I hope this makes sense.  I don't know of any good fiberglass kayak kits ... but there are some good stich and glue kits on CIC's website. You should look at that the Wood Duck, Mill Creek or Sea Island.

JP

Enjoyed for writing in Portuguese.
What I am seeking is like this, is my dream!
Many thanks for the help!   

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oZQ_ypaxqFo/TV7XZJ4rCDI/AAAAAAAAAAU/DXzMWp93Lko/s1600/caiaque+1.jpg

http://mlb-s2-p.mlstatic.com/caiaque-de-fibra-de-vidro-1-pessoa-maior-392-MLB4682144432_072013-F.jpg

Try pricing out the materials both ways. I have found that stitch and glue is cheaper than full composite. The cost of three sheets of plywood is less than the cost of the extra epoxy and cloth. The weigh is also very close. Unless you go with a full carbon/kevlar composite, S&G is about the same weight. Obviously, carbon and kevlar cloth is alot more expensive than glass. For free designs, try the "Cheap Canoe" from bateau.com or "Ganymede" from  Guillemot kayaks. Ganymede kits are also availible from CLC. good luck, JRC.

I have to say that the boats pictured appear to have been laid up with fiberglass in a female mold.  I sure would be interested in a technique a home builder could use to produce a boat like that. 

A home builder could make a fiberglass version of nearly any design using the "plug & mold" method. Basically layering fiberlass over a wooden hull  and deck mold then joing the two. This is method is done a lot with old wooden hull boats after a practiacl service life has been determined to be over yet the hull (and deck in some designs) is still in good enough shape for a mold. The home builder could make a mold( hull and deck) out of cheaper materials such as luan over MDF frames from plans and then go through the long, messy, sticky process of plug & mold. . . Personally I prefer to make and clean up sawdust over fiberglass.  

JP

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.