Port Townsend Area Activities This Summer?

My Wife and I will be work camping this summer (July-Sept) at Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend WA.  We will be taking my CLC dory so I am looking forward to sailing the great waterways around that area.   I know about the annual Wooden Boat show in September, but other than that, does anyone have any tips on events, sailing groups, small wooden boat racing, mess abouts, group sails, wooden boat clubs, recommendations on places to sail out of Port Townsend etc etc?

Thanks!

Curt

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Port Townsend Area Activities This Summer?

Curt,

The only recommendation I have is to go to the Wooden Boat Foundation and talk to Scott Jones, he's the shop guy and also teaches classes for CLC. He's a great kid, knows the area and can steer you in the right direction. And if you like Thai food check out 123 Thai. Sorta the fast food type but good stuff. I only ever ordered one spice dishes but could've probably handled two spice! Three and four would be right out!

Have a great trip!

George K

Curt, There is a wooden boat show in Seattle on the weekend of the Fourth of July. The ferry to Whidbey Island leaves from downtown PT (30 min. trip) and once on Whidbey, there is free bus service up and down the Island. The bus will take you to Clinton where you catch another ferry to mainland where you can get a bus or train to Seattle. Plan on a trip to the San Juan Islands. The ferry to the islands leaves from Anacortes and you can carry or wheel your boat on the ferry and row from whereever you get off, (Lopez, Orcas, Shaw or San Juan). You will be close to Protection Island which is a large bird santuary and two miles from PT. Be sure to visit the boat yard South of PT ad see many of the boats you have seen in Wooden Boat magazine. The Sept PT boat show is one of the best in the US. Have a great time,

Bob Peterson

Curt,

Bob's advice re taking the dory to the San Juans is spot on. My wife and I spent a week on Orcas Island last October, our first and definitely not last visit to Puget Sound. We did some sea kayaking and what a great experience, which rekindled my interest in small boats, sailing, rowing and paddling. Being on that water, moving amongst all those islands, was absolutely perfect (we really lucked out wth the weather) and I keep thinking how perfect it would have been for sailing or rowing a Northeast Dory, Skerry or other small boat. Starting this past January, the state-run ferry system was supposed to start allowing passengers to make reservations for trips from Anacortes (mainland jumping off point for many of the ferry routes) to the Islands. I strongly recommend taking advantage of that policy change, which would make travel between the mainland and the islands much, much convenient.  

WOW, what great ideas, thanks everyone!  I will save these messages in my "take with me" file.  I'm really excited about being up there RIGHT on the water, and will be able to venture North a little bit out into the Juan de Fuca on calm days, or venture South toward PT and points beyond.  I had never thought of it before but the ideas here made me realize I can put the boat/trailer behind my car and hop the ferry into the San Juans too...cant wait!   JR Buckingham also mentioned about being careful of the currents...copy that.    Thanks again for the tips!   

Curt

Curt,

you probably have this item already but, just in case, I just came across this calendar of events for the Puget Sound chapter of the TSCA. It looks to offer some attractive events that you might want to consider. Seems like the PNW offers near unlimited and exceptional opportunites for outdoor recreation, especially on the water. 

http://www.tsca.net/puget/calendar.html#mar

SullivanB...thanks!  That calendar of small boat messabouts etc will provide a lot of reading/planning fun for me..already see I may want to stay into the first week of October for one then...thanks again   

Curt,

Let me know if your route to Port Townsend takes you through Northern Colorado. . . I would like to get a look at your Dory if it does.

JP

JP,

As a matter of fact it might...how about you shoot me your contact info to [email protected]?  That would be great   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.