EPOXY/ PLASTICS COMPATIBILITY

Anticipating an early start to construction of my new Sea Island Sport craft I’ve begun collecting empty containers at home to mix epoxy in, on the basis that you cannot have too many.   A bit like you can’t have too many clamps!   Glass jars and uncoated metal cans are almost certainly all OK, but are there any PLASTICS that I should avoid – I’m not at all sure of the compatibility of epoxy with various materials used in food and beverage containers such as milk cartons, frozen food trays, etc.   These are often a handy size and shape – and can be cut down to size - and easier to mix small volumes in. Fortunately, down here all such containers have the type of plastic they are made from embossed on the item … now I need to know which are OK, which not.   Advice greatly appreciated. Lol from Oz

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: EPOXY/ PLASTICS COMPATIBILITY

Ahoy Lol,

I don't know about plastics compatibility with epoxy, but I have an easy solution for epoxy mixing:

'Disposable' Aluminum pie tins. I only needed 3 to finish my Eastport Pram, and I think I'll be able to finish my Passagemaker with only 2. You might find them at the grocery store in the baking aisle.

The pie tin's advantage lies in its shape: more surface area keeps your epoxy cooler, giving you a few extra minutes to work with it before it 'kicks'.

You'll probably end up with a little bit of leftover epoxy in the pie tin after each batch, but it shouldn't interfere with the next batch. If it bothers you, you can peel the old dried epoxy out easy as, well, pie.

I mixed my very first batch of epoxy in a plastic drinking cup. The cup quickly became too hot to hold, and the entire batch solidified into a hocky puck before I could apply it. I think this was a function of the shape of the container though, not a material incompatibility. I've used a pie tin ever since and haven't wasted another batch.

Good luck with your kayak.

Josh from Kakolaki

I've been using disposable plastic drinking cups. These are PETE and have the recycling code "1". I use similar disposable plastic plates when I want to use a roller. Josh is right about cups, large batches of epoxy in a cup will cook off faster and so you need to be careful to control the amount you try to mix in one go. Using a cup is fine for small to medium size batches. The only time I've found them getting problematic is when wetting out a large area like the hull. I just get it out of the cup and on to the glass as quickly as possible, and mix in two or three batches. Never had any problem with epoxy in contact with these plastics.

--

Ogata (eric)

Lol,

Dairy product plastics work just fine for me.

Individual plastic yogurt containers are great for small to medium batches (3->6 fl. oz.) and once the leftovers cure they usuall peel out easily.

For the occasional large batch, I mix it in a larger yogurt container and pour it into a tray made by cutting off the bottom of a 1 gallon plastic milk jug. (The rest of the jug makes a great bailer, if you've kept the cap). This avoids the heat heating problems mentioned by Josh & Eric.

Quart-sized milk containers with the tops cut off are good for mixing stiff microballoon mixes.

Laszlo 

I use the clear plastic drinking cups found at the water station in the office. I mix up to 10 pumps of each max in a cup. they work fine. never had a problem in supper or winter.

Wood Turner 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.