NanoShip?

Today there was a CLC post on Facebook regarding signups for upcoming classes. The following was copied from that post.

"Students in John's Stitch-and-Glue class this summer will be assembling his new "NanoShip" design, a 12'6" water-ballasted camp-cruising yawl."

Anybody know anything about the NanoShip?

18 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NanoShip?

Yes. It's been in the CLC shop for months. John seems to have been channeling the ghost of Bolger when he designed it. I'll let him disclose all the details, but I think that it's a non-conventional boat that will inspire strong feelings. If you get it, you'll love it. If you don't, you won't.

Laszlo

Laszlo is mistaken.  The boxy boat in the shop is a personal project. When I get a hot minute maybe a blog post will cover it.  It's not meant for a mass audience.

"NanoShip," which is two feet longer and has a shapely LapStitch hull, IS intended to become part of our catalog.  It's a comfortable and efficient camp-cruiser with an outboard well, water ballast, and a variety of rigs. The first one will be built next summer.

"NanoShip":
John's "Nesting Expedition Dinghy":

Sorry about that, John. Some folks were throwing around "Nanoship" as if it was the expedition dinghy and I got crossed up.

I'm sorry to hear that the dinghy is not meant for the mass market. Will the plans at least be available for those of us who are interested?

Laszlo

I am a landlocked boatwright that hasn't built a vessel since my fathers passing four days after we finished and delivered a cedar and teak Comet seven years ago. One look at the profile drawing of the NanoShip and the spark has been reignited. Although very familiar with the stitch and glue tecniques I have never built one. If this vessel is truly slated for the catalog I will be anxiously waiting for it in plan or kit form .

In anticipation I am now planning on building and selling a Skerry or NorthEast dory this Summer to learn and practice the sticth and glue process.

Thank you Mr. Harris. . . I am off to the shop to blow the dust of the tools to begin splicing blocks and turning belay pins sized for her.

Hi John. NanoShip looks like she has enough depth to be self draining on a mooring? Would be a very useful feature. Your Neating Dinghy also looks great fun. Am I correct in thinking her name means she sort of stacks sections and nests to make a tiny towing or shipping size? Brian.

Spent more time looking over the blown up 10'6" cruising dinghy and it looks like the centre section is about 6'3" or so, thus you can sleep in her as shown. Looks like the two end section come off and stack inside the hull, so the total length when stacked is just over 6'.  Brian

NanoShip has the look of our South Coast UK beach fishing boats.

Very interesting reactions to NanoShip on the Wooden Boat Forum. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?186442-CLC-Nanoship-12-6-quot-water-ballasted-self-righting-cruising-dinghy

>>>>NanoShip has the look of our South Coast UK beach fishing boats>>

Just what I was going for, yes!

This is supposed to be a comfortable, compact daysailer or camp-cruiser with a self-bailing cockpit.  Fun to sail but with enough water ballast to make it a truly solid platform.

While a card-carrying sail-and-oar man myself, I am in the tiniest minority.  Going back twenty years, 80% of the questions I get about any given sailing design is...whether an engine can be fitted.  It. Is. Just. What. People. Want.  We purists can howl at the moon for sailing qualities and auxiliary oar power, but...They! Want! An! Engine!

So my goal with this design was the neatest possible integration of a motor well for a little 2hp four-stroke.  The steeply-raked transom hides the engine nicely.  Looks good with the plumb stem, like British or Breton beach lugger.

>>>  Very interesting reactions to NanoShip on the Wooden Boat Forum.>>

Oh, lord, it's found its way there?  I haven't the nerve to look.  I did track down a plan & elevation view with more detail.

John, could you post the hull weight, ballast weight and displacement if you have a free moment please. Feel that NanoShip just might offer a unique combination of light weight for towing and launching and solid safe sailing with self righting designed in. She's is the perfect grand-dad teaching young grand-kids dinghy, and then grand-dad having quiet safe sailing in afterwards. A lot of positive interest on the WBF.

Brian

Dove, heaving ashore Hastings in 1890. Clear lineage for NanoShip.

>>> John, could you post the hull weight, ballast weight and displacement if you have a free moment please.>>>

The current version---subject to refinement---has an empty hull weight of around 450 pounds.  Up to 375 pounds of water ballast.  Max displacement on good lines of 1395 pounds, enough to daysail four adults, though a more likely load is one or two adults, or parents and kids, or one or two with camping stores.  The cockpit seats are 85" long and proportioned to make great sleeping berths, given a boom tent.  

Renaissance perspective here makes the bowsprit look longer than it really is...

Awhile back John purchased an Itchen Ferry sailboat which has many elements of the Nanoship. I was wondering what ever happened to John's plans for restoring the Ferry and if it has influenced the Nanoship's design. Hummmm......? (I believe I saw the Itchen Ferry in the background in photos of his new CNC machine being delivered)

Thanks so much John for posting weights. For me, as a sailor who sails from a dinghy park with the dinghy on a trolley she is too,heavy for me to pull back out of the water after sailing. Would need to be about half the weight. I realise that home boat builders almost all sail off a trailer towed behinh their car so weight is not an issue, just that Imcycle down to,my sailing spot and launch from the council dinghy park. With her weight and added ballast she really will be an able sea boat and very safe. Your own design, NED actually meets my needs for self launching being under 100kg on her trolley. I hope you don't mins but I just know the guys on the Duckworks Facebook group will love this design, just great for the TX200 so I posted her there. Very positive response indeed. Think you might have a lot of demand to make plans and kits available once fully tested. Link here https://www.facebook.com/groups/duckworks/permalink/1436396003249451/

There is a mention higher up in the thread that the Nesting Expedition Dinghy is actually in build in your workshop. Would love to pictures so look forward greatly to seeing your blog update which you mentioned above. Hope I am not being too much of a nuisance. Thanks, Brian.

Goeff Kerr seems to be building a prototype for a CLC design at his Two Daughters boat shop, but that seems to be different. That so?

Regarding John's Nesting Expedition Dinghy - I was going through my vaults and found some pictures that I took in the CLC shop back in April 2014. One was a shot of a page of plans that were sitting on a stool next to the boat. I present it here for all CLC historians and scholars. It's blurred to match the resolution of the page that John released up above, so I'm not showing anything more than has already been shown, except for the unblurred lower right-hand corner which has the name of the boat as of last April. Right-click and select view image if it's too small to read.

I also have a 360-walk-around of the boat and a look inside. However, I feel that I should wait for John's OK to post those. In those pictures the boat has yet to have its bottom attached, but the frames and sides are glued up. The holes for the jib and oars are cut and the nesting pieces are assembled. The bulkheads are layered as the plans show and they're held together with star knobs and bolts. The pieces of the hull appear to have been glassed while flat. Puzzle joints replace scarfs and there are some interesting features to allow the pieces to stay together while being glued that may get rid of stitches altogether.

All in all it's a nice combination of standard CLC kit features that would make a kit version of that boat very easy to build. I hope that it becomes part of the product lineup.

Laszlo

Just to add that I would love to see the pictures of NED in build if that might be possible. Sounds like the build method might include tongue and tab system to lock the panels together as they are assembled? Brian.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.