When to Paint

I have a question.  I want to paint a kayak that I'm building and I have been going through various forums for advise.  Do you paint then glass or do you glass then paint.  I suspect the best application would be to paint the hull prior to glassing and the only reason I would go this route is because in a year or so when I come back to refinish the polyurethane coat I do not damage the painted surface.  I would like to hear from others that have painted there boats.

Thanks,

Guy

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: When to Paint

Guy,

Glass first, then paint. Epoxy over paint on wood is not a structural bond. Even if the epoxy bonded well to the paint, the shearing stresses would eventually make the paint fail and the glass would start peeling off. So always glass first, then paint or varnish.

Note also that if you glass first, the paint will protect the epoxy from UV and you won't need that polyurethane coat you mention. Lighter boat, cheaper materials cost, faster build.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks for your comments.

Guy

Guy,  I picked you up on a different string where I noticed you were scratch building a Sea Island Sport.

I was wondering how that's going.  I'll be starting one next week and wondered if you have any tips.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.