NE Dory Add Reef Pts?

All,

We bought our NE Dory sails a few years ago without reefs.  We are now thinking that we'd like to add the reef points, but would prefer not to buy a whole new sale.  Does anyone know if it is possible to get reef points added?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Add Reef Pts?

You bet it is absolutely possible.  I ordered my lug sail from CLC with 2 sets of reef points but any sailmaker can add them for you as well as reinforce the clew(s) and tack(s).  Do you have the sloop or lug sail rig?

Best to just call CLC to ask them how much it would cost to ship them your sail and add 1 or 2 sets of reef points (I did 2 and am glad I did). Also, depending on where you live any good local sailmaker can put in reef points in any sail.

Very important question...do you have the lug of sloop rig?  Lug sails can easily have reef points put in but if you have a sloop that opens up a whole other set of issues about reefing with and without a sail track on the mast...do you have lug or sloop?  

Curt

Moonchaser , where are the reef points on your lug sail? Do they split the sail into 1/3s? Dan

Can you enlarge this and see the position of the reef points OK?  I'd measure them but the sail is packed on top of the car for our trip North for the summer.  After using both reef points I'd say they are perfect where they are.  CLC put these in before they shipped the sail to me.  I wouldnt go any higher with the seccond set because you still want to have some sail above the boom when fully reefed.

Does that help?

Curt

ciara/diana is a fake. It's spam for a papermill (the unethical plagiarist type). They throw those generic posts onto popular forums and leave links to their cheating businesses.

On the other hand, it seems to have stimulated an actual discussion.

Laszlo

The wind has been positively howling across Norfork Lake for the past couple of days so I'd have needed reef points to sail. (I'd also have needed more courage -- or foolhardiness -- than is now to be found in my ageing bones.) I think I could get my wife to sew in some reef points, and Curt's photo shows me just where to put them, but I'd probably have to be a rather tipsy old salt in order to blunder out on the water on a day like today!

Anyway, thanks for the useful photo, Curt.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.