How to use boat building techniques on an old hotrod

Hello,

I've got a question you boat builders may not have been asked before...

I own a 1950 Chevy Panel Delivery Sedan and I want to convert parts of it (the hood and roof) into a custom wood.  If you've never seen one before, google it and you'll see it is very curvy--much like a boat--hence I believe I can do this using boat building techniques.  I'm thinking about building a template of the hood and the roof, then building the "wood" hood and roof in my basement this winter.  

Do you guys think it will work?  What problems do you see me having?  Thanks for you input

Steve in Wyoming

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How to use boat building techniques on an old hotrod

Quite doable. I've been looking into doing something like this for a friend's car build. My main concern is how it's going to behave in a crash. I'm a bit worried about splinters causing injuries that crumpled steel would not.

In your case, I'd also pay special attention to the hood's thermal environment. Not so much worried about fire, rather the glue holding on a hot day after a long drive.

Let us know how it goes,

Laszlo

i think it can be done and would look very cool if done well.

i have seen wood-cored composites used in automotive structures before.   i was visiting TPI composited in rhode island and they were manufacturing bus components (balsa cored).

that said, what i observed were structural pieces being made with a high degree of engineering and techniques such as vacume bagging and rather sturdy lay-ups (multiple layers of glass on each side of the balsa) compared to what we would be doing with traditional home-built kayak techniques.

i would think it can probably be approached with lesser tech.....but one would have to be careful to ensure you are not asking more of the part from a structural perspective than you can ensure with 'amateur' build skills and tools.   i think if you stick to elements that are really acting as fairings (no significant structual loads) you are probably just fine.

i think you should go for it.....and worse-comes-to-worse....you toss the idea out and you're out a couple hundred buck in cedar strips, epoxy and glass cloth.   i think the areas you will have to pay particular attention to are your attachment points and how you connect it back to the rest of the chassis....and that you are spreading the loads appropriately to prevent it from tearing at these points.

fwiw...i routinely 'drive' my strip-build kayak down the high-way at 70+ miles per hour and she had held together just fine.....

Cold molding would probably lend itself to this type of application but I'm not sure if the special equipment would make it too pricey for a one off.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.