Peeler Skiff Bulkhead Stiching

I just finished stiching my Peeler Kit together.  There is quite a gap between the sidewalls and the front bulkhead, which, with alot of tension I can push it in to meet the bulkhead.  In the manual, I see a picture with a stich halfway up one of the bulkheads, but my kit has no predrilled holes there. Should I be putting a stich halfway up the bulkheads, or should I just let the thickened epoxy fill the gap and tape it?

Jan Welke

High Level, Alberta

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff Bulkhead Stiching

You can add stitches anywhere you need them. If the gaps are less than 1/4inch (6mm.) the wood flour/epoxy will fill that no problem. Larger, and you may want to unstitch the bow and tighten up the ones on the forward bulfhead.

Thanks Catboater

They're definitely not bigger than that, I'm going to mix my Peanut Butter now and fill 'er up.

Jan 

Catboater is right.  As long as your Peeler is still symetrical, gaps of less than 1/4 inch are easy to fill with wood flour/epoxy.  My building buddy and I were amazed at the minor sins epoxy filler can cover.  It greatly reduced our anxiety and boosted our confidence as we progressed throough the build.  The Peeler Skiff kit is so well-designed and the manual so complete that it's hard to go too far wrong.  Just go slow and read before you act.

Thanks folks, so far so good, just about to put the seats in.  You're right DDOWDELL, everything seems to be going together quite well.

Jan

I'm building a Peeler also, but further along in the process. I had a problem filleting the gap around the seats. My wood flower mix was not thick enough and it sagged thru the gap and I had to do it again after it set up. So,,,,, get your mix nice and thick so the verticals don't sag. Good luck with your build.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.