Kudos to John Harris for "How Stitch & Glue Boats Age"

Could there be a better example of the sort of contributions Mr. Harris routinely makes to the world of wooden boats? I think not.

http://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boats-blog/what-happens-when-stitch-and-glue-boats-age.html?jm=1&utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Nov BBU&utm_content=November+BBU+G2

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kudos to John Harris for "How Stitch & Glue Boats Age"

Very good article. Examples were good and to the point.

I've got to say that those examples are normal for boat wear and tear. Especially wood boats. Each little ding adds charactor. I'd rather have a boat with miles and charactor than a museum piece anyway.  Campfire stories can be told about a scratch here or there with great authroity and creativity.

I've seen the demo fleet and they were all in pretty good shape. Yet there were some good stories to be told even without any blemishes.

I agree whole-heartedly. However, as tempting as it might be, I would avoid mounting a deck gun on the WD12. I fear it would void the warranty.

Very modest too. I believe the repair on the skerry is from it being torn off the top of a truck in transport? Highway speed? "Normal wear"!!!

jh

JH.....I know of several kayaks that have taken the "flight". It is more normal than you might imagine. If you put a lot of miles on the kayak whether road miles or water miles  things will eventually happen.

John,

You should have shown that kayak that Pocket Ship fell on.  That was an impressive repair.

Laszlo

My CH7LT go away from my trailer as I was getting on the interstate on the way to its first real outing. Didn't really do much damage. Sealed it up with epoxy, and spent 6 days in the Everglades. That was 3 years ago. I just got done doing some similar repairs to the 17LT. Looks as good as new. I even smoothed out the epoxy globs, and now use bow and stern lines in addition to the straps. Great article. JRC

After lifting a pocketship onto a trailer, I shudder to think what would happen to ANYTHING that Pocketship fell on.   Good blog entry on repairs, and very helpful. The clear finish sure makes finding water intrusion easy; I hope I can easily spot problems under my boat's paint job.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.