Trolling motor for Passagemaker

Need advice as to the best size (lbs.-thrust) of trolling motor for the Passagemaker dinghy.  Also, what shaft length (30" or 36") is better?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Trolling motor for Passagemaker

Eagle Creeker,

I have just acquired a passagemaker.  I will be using it as a tender to my catamaran.  I have a 2 hp Honda.  It has done a fine job on the old inflatable that came with our catamaran.  However, ethanol in the gas created deposits and unspecified "gunk" that made for hard starting and poor idle.  It was necessary to replace a 4  year old carb on a motor that I bought new.  I will have to be much more careful with gas storage.

The passagemaker came with a nice set of oars.  I have used them once before freezing temps put an end to on the water activity.  But I have to say, the pram goes through the water quite nicely and with very little effort.  However, I'm not sure I want to row a mile to the beach against the wind/tide and back for our dogs twice a day when we are crusing.  Last summer, we sailed to Maine.  Lots of sharp things on the beach.  Saw many wooden skiffs and rowboats.  I did cringe everytime the inflatable crunched at the edge of the water. 

Which brings me to electric outboards. As they say, what is your primary use??  If you are in a fresh water creek, pond or small lake, you can use a basic Minncota or similar device, but you need to have a large marine type battery /secured in a box.   If you are in salt water or more extensive runs, consider one of the Torquedos.  They are salt water rated.  Their design incorporates a snap- in lithium battery on the smaller type outboards.  More powerful units require a separate marine battery in a box...and no gas to foul the motor if you don't use it for a month.......

Good luck with your choices.......

Salty Dog  /   sailing with 2 dachshunds 

Many thanks for your comments. Have purchased a Minn-Kota 30 lb.trolling motor which I am anxious to try this coming boating season.  I see many advantages to use of electric vs. gasoline power.

Eagle Creeker

Another option is a propane outboard. There is a U.S. manufacturer that makes a 2.5 hp outboard that runs on the same 1lb propane bottles you would use on a camp stove. No ethynol or winterizing to worry about. I have seen them used in my area and they seem quite reliable and efficient.

Happy motoring,

JP

or just buy the more expensive Non-ethanol gas.    

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.