flipping a peeler skiff

I'm about ready to flip over the Peeler I'm working on so I can begin to fiberglass the bottom.  Just wanted to make sure the sides are strong enough to take the weight when I roll it over. Anyone had a problem or should I try to pick it up and flip it?

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: flipping a peeler skiff

I flipped mine using four slings with ratchets attached to the ceiling joists. Three would work too.  I had bought four 20 foot straps from Home Depot.  Just cranked her up with one helper, a little push and pull and she slid right over nice and smooth.  If you have a few buddies you could lift and flip her over carefully.  The sides are pretty strong.  I would not want to drop her though.  Use plenty of padding underneath.  Good luck!

Dan,

Sounds like you are well on your way. My son and I flipped my Peeler using tires like it shows in the manual.  It was a struggle and I would recommend having more than two people to help.  We used two old tires and kept them located at the transom and the center bulkhead/seat. It worked fine with no damage to the edges of the hull.

After I completed the glassing and finish of the hull I used straps attached to the ceiling of my shop that cradeled the boat and it was a one man job to flip it. Much easier.

Tim 

I had a disaster with the strap method. Two broken Peeler bulkheads later, I wished I would have listened to Bob Meyer when he said:  "The best way to flip a boat is  throw a pizza party and invite your friends over."    I'm sure the strap method works fine when you know what you are doing. I didn't and the ratchets released too fast and the rest is history!  

Yikes! From the subject heading I thought you had actually flipped a Peeler whilst on the water. Was wondering how the flotation works out. I really don't want to think how you would re-board a flipped Peeler.  I'm going to try to never experience it with mine......but three stout gents on the Starboard side with a sudden tight turn at speed might provide some interesting data. Any volunteers?

My feeling is that just like rock climbing where you assume you will fall eventually, in almost any boat you should assume that one day you will go over. Maybe a sunken log, who knows.  On a nice warm day get a few friends and tip it over in shallow water.  Find out how hard it is to tip, how hard to right and how you will get back in.  Having practiced will dramatically reduce the risk if it happens underway.

But then I've only done this with kayaks, canoes and tin bottom boats.

Ed

���I had very good success with large lag eyes into rafters. Hung from them to test..large pulleys.. 1/2". Mooring line around boat. Tighten each line to raise boat off sawhorses and roll very slowly with someone there..the boat can roll quickly

I used a tow strap as a bridle. Hooked the ends to the side at tha bulkheads and ran it under the boat. Tied a line to the center and lead that over the arm on a basketball goal and tied it off to the tow hitch on the car. Eased it up and with the help of my son and a neighbor eased it back down onto the mover dollies. I use the dollies because of a small work space.

I should add that I was turning it upside down. I will probably go the pizza party route when it's time to flip it back. I shudder to think of flipping a Peeler on purpose or by accident. It would be BAD for the motor and not good for your 'cred' as a skipper.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.