Aligning Deck to hull sides for gluing

I am building a Woodduck12 Hybrid and ready to glue the deck to the hull sides.  However after removing the forms, the hull has narrowed about ¾ inch on each side.  How do I spread the hull sides back into position during the attachment and gluing process?  I see the method suggested in the instruction manual of using a putty knife to align the parts then secure with packing tape.  However, the stress is so great the tape wont hold the hull sides in place and everything springs back into the narrow position again.  Please help.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Aligning Deck to hull sides for gluing

Use wires, instead. They are stronger than packing tape adhesive. That's what I used on my WD12 to handle the springback.

Have fun,

Laszlo

There is an article in "Shop Tips" about using CA or cyanoacrylate glue along with wire stitches to hold things in position until they can be tacked with epoxy. I wish I had known about this when I built my WD12 standard.

Great idea and so simple!  Thank you!  I should have thought of this because my hull is stitch and glue of course.  old age!

Second question...does the Woodzilla product sold in calking gun cartridges work well for glueing the hull to deck seams inside.  To me it looks like an easy method then fibreglass tape on top of the fillet.  Any suggestions about this?

Thank you again!! 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.