seating in a kayak

What's the best seating for cruising. Building a WD 10 and 12 hybrids and just about to finish the deck and starting to think of how to be comfortable for long periods of being on the water. Foam? Build my own of wood? Should it be a back that is leaned aft? 

What kind of clips do you use for the paddles, Folding? Clip? Rod storage?

Just looking for some opinions, yes I know ask  a hundred boat builders the same question you will a hundred different answers, lol.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: seating in a kayak

Since no one else has replied, I will.

We have the Happy Bottom Seats with the inflatable thigh support cusion in our two Chesapeakes and love it.  We easily go 2+ hours at exercise pace with no numbness, hot spots or pain.  I initially tried the Hot Seat Grande in my Petrel Play because the Happy Bottom was too wide, but did not like it.  I ended up cutting the hip braces off the Happy Bottom and trimming the sides so that it would fit.  If I were building a WD, I would try the Creature Comfort Seat. 

What ever you do, I recommend that you do not permanently mount any seat until you have paddled with it for an hour or two.

Like you said, lots of opinions and this is just one.

If you got the kit, don't ignore trying the included ones.

With my shearwater I added an extra 3/4 inch top sheet to the CLC included foam to make it extra thick and then sanded with 60 grit to shape a nice comfy bum.  I have no problem paddling for 6+ hours, where I typically can't last an hour in many boats without going numb.  Sanding to form fit the bum definately helped alot and made it more comfy.

I agree with Mark, don't attach it firmly until you paddle for a while.

Carve your own seat. We simply use a paddle leash. If we are stopped, we either rest the paddle across the coaming, or throw it into the water next to us. Don't fish, can't help with the last one. Good Luck, JRC

Both of my kayaks have a three point system for holding the paddle to the boat. Basically it froms a triangle. Two fixed points anchor the ends of a mildly streched bunge cord. The third and center goes under a hook. You open the triangle place the paddle across the fixed positions then hook the bungee across the paddle and under the hook. A four point system with two hooks spread two feet apart works better.

I don't use them.  When paddling and stop I place the paddle blade under a deck bungee foward and let it lay across the boat. More likely I'll lay it across the cockpit in my lap.

Fishing......same thing.  Although when fishing shallow I'll often stake out at a creek mouth pushing the plastic blade of the paddle (not the carbon fiber paddle) into the silty mud with a line tied to the paddle to anchor the boat.

I installed a Performance Back Band and the Happy Bottom recommended by Cheasapeake when I asked about options for dealing with lower back issues. Have had a number of paddles now in the 2+ hour range and am very happy with the back band which has a higher profile, no back issues which is great!.  However, I get a sore butt from the Happy Bottom and so am thinking of options, perhaps supplementing with a thermorest cushion.  Will see, work in progress. I installed the back band with the side straps attached quite far forward so that the band curves more fully around my body and have it tightened so I am mostly vertical rather than leaning back. Have noted on the forum that people also seem happy with the Creature Comfort seat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.