Shrike Kayak

So I came across this boat on the web, CNC Kayak Shrike. They have a link to CLC on their website. I am curious about their boat and the reference to CLC? Is this a boat design in the works?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shrike Kayak

i think the link to CLC is a reference to where you can buy materials.

the folks that run CNC are doing it for the love of the sport/science of kayaking....so they are not a commercial venture.  they like designing and building and get joy from seeing other people get hooked on building and or derving works from their designs.

their boats are very similar to designs from Superior Kayaks and Betsy Bay Kayaks (both small commercial builders/kit makers).   CLC used to sell the Arctic Hawk kit based on a Superior Kayak design.   these are all 'classic' greenland style boats....of which CLC, based on what it is selling and marketing, does not seem to think has a wide audience.

the CNC site also references a number of other sites of some of the top builders you will see if you participate actively in some of the larger building forums.

if you are interested in building a classic greenland boat....i would definitely consider it if you are prepared to build from plans.  if you need a kit....consider looking at Superior Kayaks.   there are probably others....but i know they actively sell kits in the classic greenland stitch and glue space.

Howard

We don't have any affiliation with that website, but to be sure it's an elegant design.  We do a lot of custom CNC cutting on the side and these come through from time to time.  With a half-dozen West Greenland-ish kayaks (including the Arctic Hawk) in our stable, there are no plans to add more.

a couple other quick notes after seeing john's comments and re-reading what i posted.

first, apologies for not recognizing that the arctic hawk kit is still part of the inventory...i built one of these a number of years back and it was a fantastic experience.

second, i didn't mean to suggest that CLC was ignoring the market for 'classic greenland style kayaks'   like the Shrike or the Arctic Hawk.  if you look at the designs in this space.....these boats are incredibly close .....so i can't imagine it would be a great business model to offer a fleet of almost indistinguishable variations of a particular design concept. 

finally, while these boats are elegant and beautiful and have many positive features (these boats are really incredible if you like to role)... the one thing i would point out for the uninitiated....is that they tend to be tight fits....my sense is that you don't need to be particular to the right side of the size bell curve for these designs to get cramped....particularly if you have have larger foot sizes and need room for knee bend if that's important to you....so a long test paddle is a good idea to make sure it works for you..

i say a long test paddle becuase the impact of not having enough extra room to slightly re-position yourself which is natural during a long paddle, will not show up quickly.   so the boat may 'fit'...but its often after about 45 minutes to an hour that you notice the impact of a fit that is too tight.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.