Dory additional flotation

Does anyone have recommendations about type and size of flotation bags to use on the Dory?  Neil Calore has one on his dory at the bow that seems to fit just right.   Or otherwise have ideas about additional flotation.  Thanks much, Jonathan

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dory additional flotation

I got this idea from Curt Dennis, see his builder's forum it is quite good. I am going to place pieces of foam in the floor of the 1st compartment to the the level of the mast step and place either 3/8" or 1/2" plywood on top level with the mast step to create a level platform. I will add screw blocks in the bow and on the mast step to secure the plywood.

Never built a dory but looking at the pictures there seems to be a closed compartment under the stearn seat.  It seems to me a similar compartment could be made in front of the mast that would look like it was designed rather than an afterthought. Might even include the mast (would need a sealed tube leading down to the step block.) that would provide significant flotation, with the additional advantage of storage (needs water tight hatch and a weep hole for air pressure when temp. changes.)  

Other possibility is some foam added to the underside of the seats.  Not a lot of volume there  but still some help.

My 2 cents. Maybe others will suggest problems with this idea.

Ed

i'm planning on building a dory ,i intend to  use a cargo net in the bow and stern to secure inflatable dry bags [i'll make my own sized for various items] so that's my storage and flotation in one /along with 2 or 4 dock bumpers secured under the gunnels. thought the only time i think this type of setup will be neccessary is for long open water voyages

<TEASE>

You can make one of these as "self-rescuing" as a racing dinghy.  BUT:  All of that sealed tank structure weighs so much that the Northeaster Dory needs another 18 inches of length to maintain the same payload.  

Sorry, no idea when or if this version will be available. 

Somebody needs to report this guy to the moderator for frustrating the peanut gallery.

I believe we have left the realm of car topping.

Dag-Nabbit! Just when I have almost convinced myself the Dory is the way to go old JH comes out with Dory V2...

This new one looks attractive. I am looking at the Dory as a youth group boat. Yes, yes, I know about the other leviatthan you offer but we want to SAIL. The NE dory scores high against a slew of competitors with cost, ease of build and weight. If it is a tad bigger and can accomodate more than 2...

John

Hello. This question is directed at John but I would appreciate anyone's insights. I have thought about a number of boats that I would like to modify as per this new Dory version - that is - raised end tanks and side air tanks. What is the thinking behind leaving a bit of combing all around the boat though? Why not bring the end tanks up flush with the gunnels? I can see that there may be a bit of a back rest in the side tank region but it is pretty minimal. Why not flush all the way around? Is it cosmetic or is there a function ? Allan

As far as the seating goes, it's the difference between sitting "in" the boat and sitting "on" the boat.  Certainly raising the level of the deck to the rail would make the boat more buoyant in a capsize, but it'll be a lot less comfortable.  In this particular case the gunnels don't have enough height to function as backrests, but they're high enough to keep passengers, gear, drinks, sandwiches, and general caggage aboard.  

The fact that this design's decking is all at one level simplifies construction, and I also like the looks.  If you elevate the decks at the bow and stern to meet the sheer, the sheer line is broken by the decking.  With a lowered deck, the eye follows the pleasing sheer line from stem to stern without being interrupted by decking.

Functionally, in a boat like this 19-footer, the bow and stern areas are logical storage space for mooring lines, anchors, and so on, and the "bulwarks" keep that stuff from sliding overboard.

Talk about raised end tanks:  I got an inquiry from someone who wanted to row solo around the British Isles in a Northeaster Dory, and could it be made self-righting and self-bailing, please?  Well, sure, was the answer.  But the projected cost apparently deterred my correspondent before the design got beyond a concept sketch.

One addition to my previous post - I appreciate that if you tank the sides right up to the gunnels it will interfere with oar action and arrangements will have to be made for this. Allan  

Thank you John for your prompt and reasoned response. Allan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.