filleting sheer clamps

Does anyone fillet the bottom of the sheer clamps or, does this just add weight?This is my first build and I am doing a chesse 17.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: filleting sheer clamps

don't fillet it....it just adds weight.

that said, do make sure when you glue it you have a little squeeze out and run a gloved finger over the hull/scarf joint to make it nice and neat and not have a gap between the hull and scarf.  so if there is a fillet, its only a 1/16th inch little tiny thing using the squeeze out.

the other thing i would recommend, if you can, is if you have a router to round off the lower inner edge of the scarf.  i sued a the largest quarter round bit i had.  this will do two things....make it a bit lighter and two, a smoother edge if your knee happens to hit it.   it also looks a lot neater.

the purpose of the scarf joint is to provide a surface for attaching the deck. the lower inside corner is not really a piece of the equation.....but clc keeps it simple and inexpensive and sells a rectangular piece.

one of the nice things about these kayak's is that they are light and strong and easy to carry.  but i am surprised at how folks will do things in the build becuase they are concerned about strength and just add a lot of unnecessary weight. focus on keeping it light....you will enjoy the result.

howard

howard

RE: filleting sheer clamps

Thanks for the tips! I really like the idea of doing a round over with the router. I just wished I'd of thought of it before I glued the sheer claps on.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.