onlay application

So I have read the posts and builders tips on onlay applications, My intent is to apply a compass rose into the transom doubler cutout on a dory. I will apply it to bear wood with titebond III unclamped, allow to dry then cover with 4 oz glass, appropriate coats of expoxy and varnish. Any thoughts on this application especially with using TB III.

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: onlay application

Sounds like you have all the steps down and are ready to go, just don't let the bear bite you. :-)

Laszlo

���I used unthickened epoxy to apply a compass rose onlay to the deck of my last kayak build. I coated the onlay and deck, held it in place with elec. tape, then wrapped it tightly with cling wrap. Just curious why you would use the titebond glue instead of epoxy?

Titebond III is cheaper, non-toxic, waterproof, cleans up with a damp rag and sets in 30 minutes (though you still have to wait 24 hours for full strength). It's totally fine for any non-structural use under fiberglass, and with some care it's also good for many structural uses. The main "problem" is that it won't fill gaps so you have to make a tight joint (real carpentry, not S&G). Lots of us have used it on our boats.

Laszlo

Too, I would sand down the outer perimeter from the back side, ending with almost a feather edge and tapering it toward the middle of the onlay. The transition will look seamless and you won't be left with an edge that builds up as you add the fiberglass cloth,

I'm putting an onlay in the exact same spot.does it really need to be glassed or can it just be coated wthe epoxy? 

If you have glass between the onlay and the wood, the onlay will appear to be floating over the wood. If you don't actually want that effect the only way to avoid it is to put the glass over the onlay instead of under it.

If you're not glassing anything in that area, then it's just a durability issue. A glass-covered onlay will be more durable than an unglassed one, but epoxy's pretty tough so it should be fine for many years.

Have fun,

Laszlo

If you put cloth over the inlay, take extra care in wetting out the cloth. I thought I did a good job in wetting out mine but got disappointed in the final result because some white weave shows thru. I think the inlay absorbed more of the epoxy then the okhume does. Just my experience. It is a good spot for the compass rose.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.